Innovative Elevator design for Vertical City (conceptual)?

I've heard about vertical cities and their aim to answer the problem of urban sprawl. With this in mind, such a structure would have to be very high. Elevators will still be the main transportation between floors for any vertical structure. But the taller the structure, the longer the elevator cable will be... show more I've heard about vertical cities and their aim to answer the problem of urban sprawl. With this in mind, such a structure would have to be very high. Elevators will still be the main transportation between floors for any vertical structure.

But the taller the structure, the longer the elevator cable will be (a big problem, as engineers also account the weight of the elevator cable. Make it too long, and the cable would break under it's own weight). I've seen designs that require passengers to get off on sky lobbies and take another elevator that will reach higher... heights. However, I've recently watched Nat Geo and they featured this project in Shanghai which calls for a design of an elevator that won't rely on cables, enabling it to reach greater heights in a continuous mechanism.

I've been wanting to know more about this elevator design. I didn't even manage to get the name of this type of elevator. Could anyone please send me a link or something?
1 answer 1