Dog died, and I can't get over it?

Yesterday, my dog died. He wasn't any youngster, but it sure was early for him. He was fine up until the day before, then in the morning he couldn't get up, and I had to put him down. Any pet owner would be devastated, obviously, I could barley eat or do anything all day. The true devastation and sorrow... show more Yesterday, my dog died. He wasn't any youngster, but it sure was early for him. He was fine up until the day before, then in the morning he couldn't get up, and I had to put him down. Any pet owner would be devastated, obviously, I could barley eat or do anything all day.

The true devastation and sorrow didn't hit until later.

Every time I stood up, my dog would be there and stand up with me. Every time I came home, he would be waiting for me. Everytime I was the least bit upset, he would put his head on my lap to make me happy. He was always by my side. And now he is gone.

My problem is that every time I stand up now, and he doesn't stand up with me, I am freaking out and bursting into crying. Every time I return home and he isn't there at the top of the stairs, I am even more devastated. I really can't handle him not being here, because while I know he is gone, I still expect him to be just around the corner. He was the only thing keeping me company and now he is gone. Forever.

Please say anything. I just don't know what to do.