Paulus
Paulus asked in EnvironmentGreen Living · 1 decade ago

I have a question concerning a suggestion I have given to a local facility concerning energy savings.?

I noticed over a year ago that a local business in my community had a ventilation system that was running continuously, 24/7, 365 days a year. I did research on the system and its cost, and I determined that if the system was only used as needed (it is a hood ventilation system in a kitchen), the facility would realize a cost savings of over $10,000 per year. I approached their management on this issue, and they were on the defensive, and really arrogant to me about my questioning their operation. Do you think this is the proper way for any manager to act when offered a suggestion on cutting costs?

Nightwind: The cost of running the fan continuously is not the wattage it consumes, but rather the heat that it is removing from the building. At 500cfm, this fan is removing enough energy to raise the temperature in a building 60 x 60 x 8 from 45 F to 70 F in one hour's time. This process is happening during heat waves, when the municipality is pleading with consumers to cut back on energy consumption to prevent brown outs, as well as during cold spells, when the temp is subzero and everyone is using electric heat.

• Red E3
    Favorite Answer

Peter,

I would agree with Tongpa. There is not enough information here to draw a conclusion.

As far as the management unsolicited advice is not always welcome. Any time you give advice you solicited or not there is two possible outcomes it can be well received and positive or no so well received and negative. The fact that this was not well received should not be a shock. I am paid to provide this type of information, I have seen both reactions.

At 3600 sq feet the location is relativity small.

Do the local building code health code require a 24/7 ventilation?

What do they cook. Would you patronize it if it were smoky smelly and hot?

How big is the kitchen and what other appliances are in it and what is there heat gain?

What other systems run for the mechanical of the space?

What is there monthly yearly bill?

10,000 dollars is a whole lot of money to claim to save with your limited numbers.

It would take me about 5 hours of testing to determine how much the electricity is costing and where it is being spent and what could be recommended to modify consumption.

Source(s): Energy Auditor, HERS Rater, Energy Efficiency Expert Level I Thermographer San Diego California http://rede3.com/

I would if it were someone off the street, making assumptions about my system, my operation and just some 'green' warrior whiner. Not saying you are, but lets face it, too many people are getting into other people's faces now day regarding energy savings and its really none of thier business. If they can afford the price tag, they can use energy any way they want to. It would only make sense if it were the taxpayers covering the bill and someone wanted to save the community money.

After all, $10,000 ? if its just a hood system for a kitchen....just how big of a fan is it ? How much power does it run on ? These you will have to know before you could even try to make a guess at how much money it costs.

There there's the angle of safety. Quite frankly money and "green" goes right out the window compared to fire, life safety, a building code modification or other important reasons designed for human beings.

On the other hand, maybe your right.... Maybe they are ignorant of how much energy thier fan is using. It would depend on how old it is as well, and if its a conventional fan or a squirrel cage.

Do you know thier system this well ?

Some people are too arrogant to acknowledge another person's advice, but they privately listen and later on act like it was their own idea. It will be interesting to see if the manager ends up doing what you suggested.

But maybe you don't fully understand the way the facility operates and why the ventilation system is always on. There's not enough information here to conclude anything.

Picking up on what Linda R was saying, my idea was that you draft up a letter, outlining the savings and how you arrived at that figure, print it out on nice business stationery, and send it to the owner or CEO of the company (call the headquarters of the company and ask the receptionist how to address it so that it gets to the man you want to read it). The recession is hurting everyone, and any company should be grateful for a tip that could save them so much, so effortlessly. I think I would "mention" how the manager treated you when you approached him about it. Maybe his boss will tie a knot in his tail!

BTW, Good job!

no it is not a proper way for a manager to act but think of it this way there are a lot of TOP people in any corporation and they are supposed to be smart enough to figure this stuff out and are paid lots of money to do so,,,, and when QUESTIONED on their thinking they sometimes tend to get offensive... Good going on the suggestion though I would sure like to be able to know how to save some money on energy too if it were in that dollar range

The suggestion should have went to the owner. Management can not make any changes until the owner (or their boss) tells them to.

One fan running cost $10,000?

Is your electricity gold-plated?