Why is it socially acceptable for Western Europeans to hate Americans?

I was born in and have lived every single non-traveling day of my life in the United States of America. There. I said it. And because of that, I am not allowed to make fun of, say, Haiti, or Albania, because they generally live under worse conditions than I do, and doing so would make me a bad person. But for... show more I was born in and have lived every single non-traveling day of my life in the United States of America. There. I said it. And because of that, I am not allowed to make fun of, say, Haiti, or Albania, because they generally live under worse conditions than I do, and doing so would make me a bad person. But for some reason, Western Europeans are allowed to make fun of me and my country, despite the fact that I live in what is, by most objective measures, a crappier country, with a crappier standard of living than those in Western Europe.

They have universal health-care; we don't. They have excellent public transportation; we don't. They live in pleasant, human-scale cities; we live in either soulless, car-infested suburbs, or crumbling urban ghettos. They have the opportunity to go to college regardless of their family's financial situation; we don't. They make public policy decisions based on social welfare; we make public policy decisions based on the projected profits of whatever industry has the most lobbying power. They pay a reasonable amount of taxes to attain the aforementioned edge in quality of life; my fellow compatriots would rather see their neighbor suffer so that they can afford a fancy television set or a car. They are afforded equal rights under the law, but my homosexual friends and neighbors here can't get married because some redneck in Alabama thinks that their marriage will somehow prevent his pick-up truck from starting (or whatever the reasoning is).

I live under crappier conditions than you, Western Europe.

So why are you allowed to make fun of me and the idiocracy of a country that I have to put up with on a daily basis? Why is it that almost any intellectual in America would scoff at some redneck who doesn't like "them-there foreigners," but Western Europeans are allowed to look down upon a particular country and its people and have it considered socially acceptable? Why is it that French people are allowed to sip espresso, eat baguette sandwiches, and watch soccer on TV at the little French cafe down the block from where I work in Manhattan, but if I even so much as THOUGHT of a cheeseburger while in Paris, I would most likely be shot on site?

You think you "hate" America and its policies, Western Europe? Try living under those policies every day of your life! How about some sympathy? Similarly to how the Dutch have anchored Abortion Ships off of the coast of countries with regressive abortion policies, how about some Western European country start anchoring ships off of the coast of the USA to provide health-care for the uninsured and perform marriage ceremonies for homosexual partners?

I guess what it boils down to is: Why the double standard?

(Needless to say I'm mainly looking for insight from Western Europeans, or even Americans who have substantial insight into those cultures. Please take the debate over whether or not you love America somewhere else. And no, I don't hate America. I just think that my fellow Americans and I deserve better. You know, a few trains, maybe some affordable schools and hospitals. That kind of thing.)