Why is it socially acceptable for Western Europeans to hate Americans?

I was born in and have lived every single non-traveling day of my life in the United States of America. There. I said it. And because of that, I am not allowed to make fun of, say, Haiti, or Albania, because they generally live under worse conditions than I do, and doing so would make me a bad person. But for some reason, Western Europeans are allowed to make fun of me and my country, despite the fact that I live in what is, by most objective measures, a crappier country, with a crappier standard of living than those in Western Europe.

They have universal health-care; we don't. They have excellent public transportation; we don't. They live in pleasant, human-scale cities; we live in either soulless, car-infested suburbs, or crumbling urban ghettos. They have the opportunity to go to college regardless of their family's financial situation; we don't. They make public policy decisions based on social welfare; we make public policy decisions based on the projected profits of whatever industry has the most lobbying power. They pay a reasonable amount of taxes to attain the aforementioned edge in quality of life; my fellow compatriots would rather see their neighbor suffer so that they can afford a fancy television set or a car. They are afforded equal rights under the law, but my homosexual friends and neighbors here can't get married because some redneck in Alabama thinks that their marriage will somehow prevent his pick-up truck from starting (or whatever the reasoning is).

I live under crappier conditions than you, Western Europe.

So why are you allowed to make fun of me and the idiocracy of a country that I have to put up with on a daily basis? Why is it that almost any intellectual in America would scoff at some redneck who doesn't like "them-there foreigners," but Western Europeans are allowed to look down upon a particular country and its people and have it considered socially acceptable? Why is it that French people are allowed to sip espresso, eat baguette sandwiches, and watch soccer on TV at the little French cafe down the block from where I work in Manhattan, but if I even so much as THOUGHT of a cheeseburger while in Paris, I would most likely be shot on site?

You think you "hate" America and its policies, Western Europe? Try living under those policies every day of your life! How about some sympathy? Similarly to how the Dutch have anchored Abortion Ships off of the coast of countries with regressive abortion policies, how about some Western European country start anchoring ships off of the coast of the USA to provide health-care for the uninsured and perform marriage ceremonies for homosexual partners?

I guess what it boils down to is: Why the double standard?

(Needless to say I'm mainly looking for insight from Western Europeans, or even Americans who have substantial insight into those cultures. Please take the debate over whether or not you love America somewhere else. And no, I don't hate America. I just think that my fellow Americans and I deserve better. You know, a few trains, maybe some affordable schools and hospitals. That kind of thing.)

Favorite Answer

It's because you make the choice to live in, what the folk of your country like to refer to as, "the greatest country in the world". If you want to live in Western Europe, go ahead. They're not keeping you out.

Nobody likes America, and with good reason.

my homosexual friends and neighbors here can't get married because some redneck in Alabama thinks that their marriage will somehow prevent his pick-up truck from starting (or whatever the reasoning is).

LMFAO!!!!!!!

I was born Italy, and have lived in the US and Canada. I have lived in Italy again and then in Finland, and travelled around western Europe. There are bad areas. Nottingham, England has BAD BAD ghetto. Northern Ireland has issues still. I saw a bad section of Berlin Germany (graffiti and bars on the window).

I've met far more anti-Americanism in Canada than any other country (yet I still LOVE Canada) and I've been to the Middle East!

Let's just say....some people just like to complain instead of looking at the problems in their own country, and every country. Few people, such as myself, will complain about problems in their own nation, others, and on top of it actually try to solve sh*t.

LMAO, forget Western Europe, I think you have bigger problems with America than anyone living there! You can either pull a Ghandi and be the change you want to see in America, or quit complaining and move to Western Europe. I do not agree with you that socialised health care is anything great.If you have to go to a certain doctor no matter what, that does wonders to eliminate competition, and without competition,the quality of care goes down as well. Have you seen the teeth on people from Britain? Those dentists would never last over here! And I have a neighbor whose mother has breast cancer and switched specialists. Now she is very happy with the treatment she CHOSE and doing well.

Not to mention, people in European countries like France need to pass an intensive comprehensive test on all subjects studied in order to go on to higher education. If you don't do well, you aren't going to any college at all,no matter how much money you have. It is here in the US that anyone can go on to college, as long as they do the time in high school to get a diploma.

As for prohibiting gay marriage in most places, well, thats just what the nutters in this country are up to. In countries like the US you aren't allowed to marry if your orientation isn't acceptable to social conservatives, in places like the UK coughnorthernIrelandcough, you aren't allowed to exist period if your religion isn't acceptable to an angry Catholic or Protestant that woke up in a bad mood. Pick your poison, but whether you chose crazies prohibiting marriage or crazies exploding you inside your car, know that there are crazies in Europe who are determined that America will not leave them in the dust.They can turn you and your office into dust just fine themselves, thank you very much.

Besides which, I don't see how their society could be so great if you said yourself that hate is socially acceptable. If thats the kind of place that you would rather live in, then go right ahead.

As soon as a country makes a progressive step it tends to gain an "holier-than-thou" attitude. European people can forget the centuries of their barbarism when looking at us just as the American government appeared to forget our own problems with racial inequality when they placed hard sanctions against South Africa in the 1980's because of apartheid though we had only passed the Civil Rights Act in 1964and we still don't have equality to this day. The English attitude toward the newly unified German nation was one of the reasons for German antagonism toward England in WWI. No one likes a snob.

they do no longer hate Europe. it fairly is impossible to hate something you comprehend no longer something approximately. they think of you reside in a failed socialist tyrany and wait in bread strains. and surely they frequently in basic terms look down on Europeans considering which you comprehend, people stay longer, consume extra advantageous, make added funds and single-handedly saved the worldwide from the NAZIS, the community North people, the Muslims, pollutants and the Buffalo. Illtrt: and how many Europeans are stationed interior the U. S.? whilst did Europe attempt to rigidity celeb wars on North united statesa.? Get a clue. Rockit: very almost a hundred% of yank vogue arrive 6 months as quickly as they have long gone out of vogue in Europe. people pay throughout the nostril for LV and Ferragamo, no person in Europe is going to purchase a Tommy Hilfiger monstrosity. all the main important pinnacles of "American rock" from The Beetles to the Rolling Stones, to Led Zeppelin and The who're British. American activities alongside with American soccer (Rugby) or baseball (cricket) are derived from Europe. united statesa.'s in hassle-free terms cultural advances are Jazz and cartoons!

• Poodie

There is no double standard. You're allowed to hate whomever you like. Plenty of Americans openly voice their disgust for Europeans, especially the French, Mexicans, Israelis, Iraqis, you name it, and we're not shy about it. Polite society of course frowns upon any such mention of this type of thing because it's rude, and makes us look bad. It doesn't stop people from doing it.

First of all, i like your reasoning. I was born in East Europe, now live in the States. I've been to West Europe many, many times, besides many of my relatives live in West Europe so I visit them a lot. If you've never been to Europe, I'll tell you one thing: Europeans are very, very, very, very nationalistic. We do not accept any other nationality other than our own. We consider any other system in any other country to be inferior to ours. Also, I think we make fun of America is because (in my opinion) America pretends to be this all-powerful, "free for all" nation. Yes, America has good economy, yes, america has good army, etc., but if you look a bit closer, America is the fatest, the stupidest nation in the world and for that reason, the nationalistic Europeans make fun of America. Bottom line, (in my opinion) America pretends to be who they are not.

Don't know if I answered your question, but thanks for the opportunity to express my voice in this topic.

I dont think it's sociable acceptable to hate anyone. Western Europeans dont have a free pass to hate americans. And if they do, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

For the same reason social outcasts poke fun of the cool kids, but not to their faces lol

Source(s): We're just cool that way

You voted for Obama. Nuff said.