How does a vaginal examination done to pregnant women in labor?

I was just wondering if anybody could give me a step by step description of vaginal examination (internal exam) for women in labor to know the cervical dilatation and effacement. I've tried it to a patient once but its difficult for me to appreciate it since its the first time I have done it. All I could feel... show more I was just wondering if anybody could give me a step by step description of vaginal examination (internal exam) for women in labor to know the cervical dilatation and effacement. I've tried it to a patient once but its difficult for me to appreciate it since its the first time I have done it. All I could feel is the intact bag of water and its difficult to reach and palpate the cervix. Please if there's anybody out there (most preferably a doctor) who could give me the answer or send a website that gives this step by step information or a video and pictures of how it's done, I would very much appreciate it. Thank You!
2 answers