I love Star Trek & all its series and movies....would I like Babylon 5?

As I said I love everything about the Star Trek franchise, but I want to broaden my viewing choices among the other popular sci-fi shows and one that I have been told about is Babylon 5 so I wanted to get the opininion of others.

Favorite Answer

Yes. Definitely. (Well... if you're a real hardcore Trekkie.)

B5 is one of my favourite shows and, if you're a nerd, I promise you a further five seasons of gloriousness.

Stargate wouldn't go amiss either, though that's more nerd light. Popular nerd if you will.

Ahem. Anyway, yes.

I think.

• Rose D

Absolutely. B5 is unique in that it was conceived as lasting five seasons from the very beginning. This means that the pacing and rhythm of the storylines are much more effective than in traditional open-ended shows. There's a beginning, a middle and an end. Nothing was left hanging. Stories were laid out and seeds planted early on that came to fruition later. Nothing since has compared, with the exception of Lost, which was also given an definite endpoint.

The first season of B5 is kind of slow. It's an introduction to the characters and the universe as well as setting up a framework for the rest of the season. Watching it a second time, it's amazing to see how many ideas were planted in season 1 that finally bloomed in season 3 or 4. If you find early episodes dull, hang in there. It's definitely worth the wait.

The character development over the series is also really remarkable. Characters who started out as lighthearted comic relief became tragic heroes, and minor characters became major players as the series progressed. The stories, which were good at the time, are actually more topical and relevant today. The sfx are a bit dated, but not jarringly so.

If you liked DS9 you'll definitely love B5.

PS - The first two seasons of the series are available at hulu (if you're in the US) if you want to preview it for free - http://www.hulu.com/babylon-5 Watch "The Gathering" first, as it's the pilot and incorrectly labeled as season 1 episode 23.

As a long time science fiction fan(since the early 70's) I've watched every SI/FI show you can think of! It is my humble opinion that B-5 is 100% better than Star Trek. B-5 had a story arc that went from the first show all the way to the last. Way more imaginative and better character development. Star Trek got to bogged down with technology and kept using the same guest stars over and over again.

I am a big Babylon 5 fan. It is quite different from Star Trek. The creator had the ending thought out before it started, which really made for a good series and series arc. I say go for it. I actually bought the boxed set and the movies also.

Oh, Yes, it was very good, funny, insightful, with lots of action and a splash of romance.

No you wouldn't like it. No one liked it. Which is probably why it only lasted a couple seasons and was canceled a couple years ago.

baylon 5 sucks. the origional is still the best!

• yes.