Apple Mac And Windows Files etc?

Hello, ive been quite excited as im getting my first apple mac pretty soon after using one for the first time three weeks ago. In my Diploma class in ICT we are using programing languages such as visual basic this year, which as as you know a microsoft programming language. Most of the programming work will be done... show more Hello, ive been quite excited as im getting my first apple mac pretty soon after using one for the first time three weeks ago. In my Diploma class in ICT we are using programing languages such as visual basic this year, which as as you know a microsoft programming language. Most of the programming work will be done at home, is it possible to use visual basic on a mac?

File exchange between Mac and windows? What happens here? For example the .doc file in microsoft, is this easy readable in a Mac OS? Do you think its worth sticking wilth a windows machine untill the course is over?