Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationRail · 1 decade ago

How wide are the reserved coach seats on Amtrak?

I am a big girl. I have traveled on Southwest airline and haven't exactly been comfortable. So I wanted to see if taking a train would be more comfortable for me. I am traveling from Philly to Tampa, which will take about 24 hours. I would like to reserve a coach seat but, would like more information. So anything you can provide for me would be great. I've looked at the website. I really want live feedback! :) Thanks.

Favorite Answer

The train will be a much more comfortable seat. The seats are wider than a plane's seats, and lean back further with more legroom. There's also no arm rest in the middle. Chances are good that you won't have a seatmate so you won't be hemmed in. If you can sleep on a plane, you'll have no trouble sleeping on the train. Plus you really can get up and move around, take advantage of that.

In doing a bit of googling, it seems that average seat width for an airline coach seat is about 17.5" with a 32" pitch. First Class is about 19.5-20.5 width, 38-60" pitch. Amtrak is about 20.5" coach with a 50" pitch. (At least the Texas Eagle is, and I think it's a standard size.)

It's also a single train from Philadelphia to Tampa on the Silver Star, no need to change trains. Josh must not travel long distance on Amtrak as much as he thinks.

Source(s): Much Amtrak travel.

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awFAi

It depends on the train and how busy the train is. If it's busy, somebody will hand you a card with a seat number just before you board the train. If it's not busy, then it's pretty much free seating. However, usually they'll still specify which car to use - sometimes long haul in one car and those going short distances in another car. Don't worry - you will be directed to the correct part of the train before boarding.

Coach train seats are much wider then airline seats. They are quite comfy and have nice foot rests. If you are on a single story train look into the business class upgrade. Usually its less then $20 and you'd be more comfortable.

• Jean

The guy above has no clue. When you buy a coach seat, you may sit anyplace in the coach. Be sure you are in the right coach. Ask the conductor standing buy the coach entrance.

Coach Class is about the same size as a jet. In fact it looks like a jet on the inside. I don't suggest a sleeping car. I did it once and it's like being in a coffin. Buisness class is the same size but it has more plugs and it's a little bit fancy. The Northeast Corridor is short for you so you will end up transfering in Washington D.C.

Sorry, Penny, dont do the Northeast Corridor a lot. Just Providence to South Station usually. Farthest I do is the Auto Train. When I had to go to Providence to Orlando we transfered at Washington. Thought that went with Tampa, too.

Source(s): I ride Amtrak a lot. But not as much as some people.

they are very similar to airline seats. they do have sleeper cars though and you are allowed to get up and move around a lot more. Also there is a dining car that you can spend some time in that would get you away from your seat.

Definitely bigger than the planes.