Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOptical · 1 decade ago

What is your main reason to get LASIK surgery and what is holding you back?

Your vision changes throughout your life. But the importance of caring for your eyes and maintaining your sight never goes away. With constant advances in technology, more people can now be considered excellent candidates for laser vision correction than ever before. Whether it’s the hassle and expense of glasses or contacts, health issues, or even that you missed doing spontaneous activities like cannonballs, you have your own unique reasons for considering laser vision correction. Please share with us, your unique reason.

Favorite Answer

I want laser surgery. I even went to get a pre-exam. They told me that, because my prescription is too high (-10 diopters), they can't perform the surgery without cutting my eye too thin and endangering my vision.

I want to get lens implants, but at $8,000, the procedure is too expensive for me to afford now or any time in the foreseeable future.

The reasons I want my vision corrected:

1. At my prescription, glasses do not give me perfect vision. I have a narrow area of my lenses that are actually my prescription, and the rest is distorted.

2. I want to wear colored contacts. Colored contacts are not available in my prescription.

3. There is always the danger when I am traveling or camping that I could lose my glasses, and then I'd just be screwed.

4. I'd just plain like to have prefect vision without having to put on glasses or contacts every day!

There are a couple things holding me back from getting LASIK done. The first is the cost/quality concern. I'd definitely need to take my time to find the best surgeon I could afford. The second thing is the fear of someone operating on my eyes with lasers and needing to keep my eyes open for so long. The procedure is a little daunting, but I'm sure the results would be worth overcoming any fears.People can also be intimidated by the cost, or by reading some of the bad experiences people have had (hey, you'll get those in ANY kind of surgery......don't be put off by the ones with LASIK). But I can definitely and most assuredly say that getting it done is worth every penny. And it's really NOT that expensive as some people are trying to make it out to be. It's not as if it costs upwards of $10,000 or more to do. My surgery cost roughly $2500, and they even have a payment plan so it can be paid off reasonably.

I had LASIK back in 2002 and it was the best money I have ever spent. I had worn glasses since 2nd grade. There were so many things I could not do because I was "blind" without my glasses. I could not even see the time on the alarm clock next to my bed.

It was expensive, but I used a Medical Savings Account and saved some money that way. The procedure costed $3200 total. Within 48 hours IO had 20/15 vision. I went back to the eye doctor last year and I still had 20/20 vision.

Before I had the surgery, I was worried about the potential issues that could arise. The Doctor did not make me feel any better when he informed me that there was a slight chance my eye sight could end up worse or even blind. I decided to go on anyway and have never looked back.

I do not people that have had some issues with dry eyes and some light starring, but for the most part, I always tell my friends with glasses to get the procedure done. I would bet the procedures is even better now than when I had it done.

Source(s): Self

I have long days and nights...so I could do without the discomfort. It was a tad bit unnerving to say the least, I mean consider the risks...but I took the plunge because several other close people I know did the procedure and came out with new outlooks (pardon the pun) on life. Sometime after the procedure - I felt as if I never wore glasses or contacts before. When I wake up in the morning I can see the clock on the wall clearly. When I go swimming, I can see the horizon, what's under the water, and my friends and family sitting on the beach, and at night I can see the stars as points of light instead of a blurry haze or not at all. Four years later - I must tell you, I have only one regret...that I didn't do it sooner. However I would not actively encourage someone else to do the surgery because it is a personal decision and a personal risk to take.There are a couple things holding me back from getting LASIK done. The first is the cost/quality concern. I'd definitely need to take my time to find the best surgeon I could afford. The second thing is the fear of someone operating on my eyes with lasers and needing to keep my eyes open for so long. The procedure is a little daunting, but I'm sure the results would be worth overcoming any fears.

The real reasons for doing it though were the headaches I got after wearing my glasses for long periods and the red, irritated eyes I got when wearing contacts. I have long days and nights...so I could do without the discomfort. It was a tad bit unnerving to say the least, I mean consider the risks...but I took the plunge because several other close people I know did the procedure and came out with new outlooks (pardon the pun) on life. Sometime after the procedure - I felt as if I never wore glasses or contacts before. When I wake up in the morning I can see the clock on the wall clearly. When I go swimming, I can see the horizon, what's under the water, and my friends and family sitting on the beach, and at night I can see the stars as points of light instead of a blurry haze or not at all. Four years later - I must tell you, I have only one regret...that I didn't do it sooner. However I would not actively encourage someone else to do the surgery because it is a personal decision and a personal risk to take.I was also told I don't make a good candidate because my vision has not stabilized yet and I've still needed a prescription adjustment every year (at almost 30). I've weighed the risks and benefits, and even if I do become a good candidate in the future, I don't think it's for me. I've been wearing contacts since I was 13, they really aren't enough of a hassle to risk surgery when I wouldn't consider anything less than perfect results to be a good outcome.

Glasses hurt my nose and my ears. And I do not like the way they look. But mostly I find wearing them intolerable.

Contacts for the most part were okay. There were instances when I lost them, but since I used disposables replacements were not expensive. On a few occasions I was determined the contact was still in my eye and really did a number on myself scratching up my cornea, trying to remove a contact that was not there. And of course from time to time I would sleep in them, which I was warned was dangerous. Sometimes I would forget to put them in. And I wouldn't remember until I was behind the wheel, or at the movie theatre and unable to see. Overall, contacts were expensive (I also had a severe stigmatism), a hassle, often uncomfortable and sometimes dangerous.

I considered lasik when I realized that getting lasik would actually be cheaper than getting contacts for the rest of my life. My lasik surgery was $3000, but my contacts were $400 a year. In less than 10 years I would have saved money. I figured this was a real investment. I was guaranteed to save money, and in this economy that can be a difficult thing to do!

I got lasik about 4 years ago, and I am so glad I did! It was easy and painless. My eyes went from 20/200 with severe stigmatism to 20/20 with no stigmatism. I don't have to worry about taking out contacts before falling asleep, I don't have discomfort, I can see the alarm clock in the morning, I don't have to haul around solutions and backup glasses. Perhaps I should but I don't even go to the eye doctor anymore. The convienience of not having solutions etc. I appreciate now that I have had the surgery. The reason I got it was because it was more economical than not getting it, so was completely justified. And I had the surgery so I could always see. No more blindly driving down the road, squinting at road signs when I forget my contacts.

Not only that but my eyes were constantly bloodshoot, hence everyone thought I was "high" not case. After about 3 years or so I decided to go back to glasses. I did hear of lasik back then but it was more expensive and some doctors were not as trained as they should of been. I would read stories about some people having horrible experiances. So I did not want to do it. When I was about 27 I was diagnosed with Diabetes Type 1. I had no idea that this would change my life forever, Talk about adjusting to eating to excercise, I did go to the opthamalogist for a check up and everything is ok, I was really surprised that I was a good candidate for Lasik, I'm like ok, I was still a bit scheptical, my insurance at that time did not cover it and the expense was still a bit high.

I hated glasses and I hated contacts, and I found a reputable place that was much cheaper than I expected. I was used to hearing price quotes from friends that were a few years out of date. The prices have really gone down as the technology has gotten less expensive and more reliable. It was almost completely painless and I haven't had any problems in the 2 years since I had it done. Completely worth it, best investment I could have made for the money.I have not done any research on this, so I don't know firsthand...but my understanding is that this kind of surgery is not permanent. By that I mean that getting LASIK will fix your eyesight at that time, but it doesn't guarantee that your eyesight won't continue to deteriorate. If I'm going to spend that kind of money, I want some assurance that the problem will be fixed permanently.

The real reasons for doing it though were the headaches I got after wearing my glasses for long periods and the red, irritated eyes I got when wearing contacts. I have long days and nights...so I could do without the discomfort. It was a tad bit unnerving to say the least, I mean consider the risks...but I took the plunge because several other close people I know did the procedure and came out with new outlooks (pardon the pun) on life. Sometime after the procedure - I felt as if I never wore glasses or contacts before. When I wake up in the morning I can see the clock on the wall clearly. When I go swimming, I can see the horizon, what's under the water, and my friends and family sitting on the beach, and at night I can see the stars as points of light instead of a blurry haze or not at all. Four years later - I must tell you, I have only one regret...that I didn't do it sooner. However I would not actively encourage someone else to do the surgery because it is a personal decision and a personal risk to take.

Well, I'm interested in LASIK so as to have a perfect range of vision without the need for the hassle of things like glasses or contacts. Both require more maintenance than perfect eyes would.

I think the main reason I haven't seriously considered the treatment is cost. Though in reality, I don't have a strong idea of what its cost is. I've never seen a ranged price of what it might potentially cost, which could influence thing differently.

Learning the procedure also made me a bit uncomfortable. Particularly being completely awake while a flap is cut into your eye. But if I were to otherwise seriously consider the operation, I wouldn't let this detail stop me.

I also consider glasses to suit my character very well. It is because of this that I haven't tried even contacts (plus I don't seem good with putting my finger near my eye).

Those things aside, I am completely fine with the operation itself. From lasers in my eyes to the various side effects listed, I'm not worried about it. I trust the operation well enough. I expect that if I were to go for it, I'd appreciate the results.

If Lasik sounded affordable, I'm pretty sure I'd go for it.

For years I could not afford it but I found that after leaving college I suddenly could because my income went up and the cost of Lasik went down. The real reasons for doing it though were the headaches I got after wearing my glasses for long periods and the red, irritated eyes I got when wearing contacts. I have long days and nights...so I could do without the discomfort. It was a tad bit unnerving to say the least, I mean consider the risks...but I took the plunge because several other close people I know did the procedure and came out with new outlooks (pardon the pun) on life. Sometime after the procedure - I felt as if I never wore glasses or contacts before. When I wake up in the morning I can see the clock on the wall clearly. When I go swimming, I can see the horizon, what's under the water, and my friends and family sitting on the beach, and at night I can see the stars as points of light instead of a blurry haze or not at all. Four years later - I must tell you, I have only one regret...that I didn't do it sooner. However I would not actively encourage someone else to do the surgery because it is a personal decision and a personal risk to take.