How can anyone actually believe in a higher power?

There is not a single shred of evidence corroborating any account of the existence of a higher power. Old books that are full of contradictions and quite obviously written by men don't count as proof. You would think that a superior being would be capable of something a bit more impressive.

How do people actually fool themselves into believing that a higher power exists, at least one that takes an interest in human affairs?

Favorite Answer

If by 'higher power' you mean the Creator of all things it's because they are wise and intelligent in the Lord and can see the evidence all around them and in the heavens that clearly reveal His glory.

This is simple.

Humans are a being who need answers to everything. The belief in a high being gives a person the desire to please the higher being.

I agree with you that it seems ignorant to think that people believe in something without evidence BUT you must understand that this belief has been around for longer then you or I. This belief has been around since before most of our ancestors and it has been handed down from generation to generation. This belief system was created during a time when people wanted to be able to control those who were thought to be uncontrolable. I am not just talking about Christianity but all those before Christianity who believed in higher beings suchs as gods and goddesses. ie: the Egyptians, Greeks, Myans etc etc...

For those that do believe in a higher power it is important to their lives, their existance, their immortal soul. They think they have no greater purpose then that of following a "code" or "rule" of life. If that is what makes them happy then so be it. Respect it. You do not have to believe it but you can be a good person and respect their feelings and their beliefs. I agree that most of them will not respect your beliefs but why stoop to their level? Unfortunately you also have those who claim to follow but instead they ridicule, degrade or even murder.. Thats why I am not one of those "believers" but I do respect their belief systems no matter what that belief system is.

The end of your question ("at least one that takes an interest in human affairs?") shows that you realize there exists evidence of a creation, evidence that could lead to a Creator. You're saying that perhaps a Creator does exist but that He wouldn't interest Himself in humans. It's a tricky business to say what a Creator would or wouldn't do. After all, we have no experience creating universes.

To believe in a Creator simply means to seek a Creator.

Plato and Aristotle are not fools as you make them. And they demonstrated that a higher power is a rational and logical necessity.

As to taking interest in human affairs, the Bible almost copies the exact thought of Plato, which is only common sense -- which you seem to lack.

24

For you love all things that are and loathe nothing that you have made; for what you hated, you would not have fashioned.

25

And how could a thing remain, unless you willed it; or be preserved, had it not been called forth by you?

• Mia

They want to, its empowering to them, comforting, part of their cultural socialization, tells them death is not real, etc... People just by virtue of being humans capable of reason are often not particularly rational or reasoning in aspects of their lives. There have been numerous psychological studies on this. One needs only to watch the auditions for Star Search or similar programs to see how self deceptive some are about their actual singing ability. Religion is really not that different. Some people just want to believe it. Some people were told to believe and don't want to question that. Some people really lack the ability to see what you are saying, religion and theism really make sense to them because it claims to have answers to things they can't understand. I completely agree with you in what you are saying myself. I have just observed that some people really don't want to question a deities existence because it upsets their world.

lol i think the creation of the world (whether in 6 literal days or through evolution) is pretty impressive...not to mention the complexity of the human body, or the eye itself is pretty amazing.

i think there is PLENTY of evidence to suggest a higher power.

if you need some sort of 'convincing', then pray about it. if there really is a God, he isn't going to hide himself from those who want proof of his existence. Just ask him to show himself in a way that you can understand. If there is a God who takes an interest in human affairs, he will let you know. If not, I guess you have your answer.

I believe in something more. You can't see love, but you know its there, I know there has to be something more, and I don't see how someone could be happy and not think that theres something more, I am not trying to be rude, I am honestly curious how someone could... I always want to be with my boyfriend and never want it to end, so I am very much believing I will have more time with him, I feel like there is something more, just like I feel my love for him, well not exactly, but I know its there like that...

It is possible a higher power could exist - although there is no evidence.

What is really stupid, though, is that some people claim to know what this higher power wants/likes/hates/is etc.

• Huddy

Direct personal experience. Unfortunately, that's not something that can be made into a repeatable (or, in most cases, observable) experiment. So sorry. Guess if you want to find God you'll have to do the work yourself. What a bummer.

Source(s): - Too smart to be a Christian, too open-minded to be an atheist

I was raised a Christian. But, my belief was based upon two things.

1. Looking at myself.

2. DNA

Now though, I believe that there is a god because I can hear the voice of a spirit that claims to be Him.