Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleFashion & Accessories · 1 decade ago

How do I dress like a prep?

I'm 19 and out of high school.And I wear a size 1 or 3. Please I want to change my look. Would preps ever wear gladitors. Also I don't have alot of money. Thanks in advance.

Favorite Answer

Buy the preppy style clothes. Just because you got some clothes from an upper class store doesn't mean they are preppy. Buy clothes that are classic, and clean-cut. Don't be afraid to splurge on these a little, as preps tend to hold onto clothes for a long time. Remember to make sure your clothes are always clean, and always match. Good fabrics are very important. Get rid of any polyester. Buy mostly 100%cotton, wool and cashmere. Wear preppy colors. Bright and happy, like green, pink, light blue... nautical red, white and navy blue and preppy patterns- plaid, stripes, gingham, polka dots, argyle, floral, paisley, nova checks, tartan.

*

1.

o Here are some suggestions for that type of clothing:

* Polo shirts

* Oxford shirts (unlike polos, oxford shirts should always be long sleeved - if it is warm outside simply roll up the sleeves)

* Rugby shirt

* Cable-knit vests and sweaters (traditional cricket sweaters).

* Cardigan sweaters in preppy colors and patterns (but keep in mind that tying it around your neck might be a little overboard)

* A jacket or blazer (navy blue is a staple; try seersucker or madras plaid in summer, tweed in winter.)

* Dark denims or chino pants

* Khaki pants.The prep equivalent to jeans.

* Bermuda shorts (khaki, madras plaid, seersucker, linen or preppy prints and patterns)

* Skirts (khaki, madras plaid, seersucker, linen, preppy prints and patterns)

* Tea dresses and summer dresses (in madras plaid, preppy colors, seersucker, or linen.) A-line dress, halters, and flowy dresses are acceptable.

* Tennis and golf inspired shirts, skirts and dresses

1.

o Color coordination is key! If your unsure about how to put together out fits, google "preppy outfits or visit the Preppy Journal online (http://www.rugbypreppy.com) to see Preppy articles and styles.

# Wear preppy shoes and acessories like these:

* Pearl necklaces and earrings as well as diamond jewelery (make sure it's small not fake looking and doesn't look to trashy or tacky)

1.

o Most preps wear their mother's, grandmother's or aunt's old diamond and pearl jewelry, as an "old money" thing.

* Small handbags (preferably Coach or Dooney and Burke) in simple colors and patterns or large, monogrammed tote bags (Vineyard Vines, L.L. Bean, and Lands' End have good choices).

* Hair accessories such as headbands (silk/satin scarf headbands or hard headbands with ribbon bows) and grosgrain ribbons in preppy colors, prints, and patterns.

* Ribbon belts in a variety of preppy prints, patterns, and colors or, especially for guys, black or brown leather belts.

* Preppy girls wear ballet flats, top-siders (boat shoes), ribbon canvas flip flops, Rainbow sandals, and simple leather high heels and wedges in shoes.

* Preppy guys wear classical loafers, leather moccasins, suede loafers, boat shoes (top-siders) or leather flip flops. For formalwear they wear leather dress shoes in black or brown.

Wearing a pair of top-siders without socks is classic preppy.

• dowe

Dress Like A Prep

I think you should be what you want to be; do a test run and go to the mall and see what you like, and don't try and think 'is this prep? is this prep?'. If you try too hard, it'll look fallen apart.

Vintage is cool; who cares if you go to the Salvation Army? You can find awesome things there, or at Ross, or Target. It all depends on how you put outfits together.

People call me part of the prep group, so I guess I'm prep. I wouldn't wear gladiators everyday, I'm more of the Converse and Vans type (and so are my friends). It's one or the other for us. But yeah, I mean, the girls in the group wear gladiators to the beach or the mall or on a casual date, like to the movies. Try and go to websites that tell you the cheapest place for a certain type of clothing.

The main thing to dressing prep, though, I guess is T-Shirts, Jeans, Converse/Vans (you can buy them for cheaper at thrift stores, and the worn look looks awesome), and Polos. Really, if you're yourself, you'll be a lot happier, I think. I think I'm prep, and I'm happy the way I dress. And if you're happy being a prep, way to go.

Source(s): myself, my friends, and Seventeen magazine ;)
  • Lisa

OK, well if you want to blend in with the preps i wont tell you not to because if thats what makes you happy then go for it. But ok if you want to look like a prep just wear some hollister hoodies some light make up but make sure ppl can tell that u have make up not too light not too much. Wear collared shirts. Pink shirts with collars. and DO NOT WEAR SNEAKERS i mean you can if they are wearing sneakers but wear slip-ons comfortable and preppy at the same time. JC penny has some cute, cheap shirts try looking there. Well good luck with the preps

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

How do I dress like a prep?

Source(s): dress prep: https://shortly.im/lOsT0

Stereotypes are a waste of time. You're out of school, You should already know that you need to be yourself, Not some big fake.

And "preps" are mostly known for having money.

Do you, Not someone else.

Source(s): Sheesh.

if you want to dress 'fancy' prep, then wear a button down shirt, doesnt matter where its from, and try a dress skirt, a little above knees (not too high, unless you want to look skanky)--you could try slacks too

if you want more casual preppy, then try a polo shirt and some jeans or shorts..put something in your hair too

trust me i go to a prep school :D

No need to dress like a prep! Preps are just annoying...just be yourself, everyone is different-wear whar you are comfortable in. Who cares what people think!

all the people at my school that call themselves 'preps' dress like sluts......but um...i don't think a prep would wear gladiator sandals...i thought they wear like pink and green and white and wear like polo shirts and skirts...at least thats what prep was originally...

never wear any long dress or skirt because of my level, it makes you look shorter and fatter.