Buy the preppy style clothes. Just because you got some clothes from an upper class store doesn't mean they are preppy. Buy clothes that are classic, and clean-cut. Don't be afraid to splurge on these a little, as preps tend to hold onto clothes for a long time. Remember to make sure your clothes are always clean, and always match. Good fabrics are very important. Get rid of any polyester. Buy mostly 100%cotton, wool and cashmere. Wear preppy colors. Bright and happy, like green, pink, light blue... nautical red, white and navy blue and preppy patterns- plaid, stripes, gingham, polka dots, argyle, floral, paisley, nova checks, tartan.
o Here are some suggestions for that type of clothing:
* Polo shirts
* Oxford shirts (unlike polos, oxford shirts should always be long sleeved - if it is warm outside simply roll up the sleeves)
* Rugby shirt
* Cable-knit vests and sweaters (traditional cricket sweaters).
* Cardigan sweaters in preppy colors and patterns (but keep in mind that tying it around your neck might be a little overboard)
* A jacket or blazer (navy blue is a staple; try seersucker or madras plaid in summer, tweed in winter.)
* Dark denims or chino pants
* Khaki pants.The prep equivalent to jeans.
* Bermuda shorts (khaki, madras plaid, seersucker, linen or preppy prints and patterns)
* Skirts (khaki, madras plaid, seersucker, linen, preppy prints and patterns)
* Tea dresses and summer dresses (in madras plaid, preppy colors, seersucker, or linen.) A-line dress, halters, and flowy dresses are acceptable.
* Tennis and golf inspired shirts, skirts and dresses
o Color coordination is key! If your unsure about how to put together out fits, google "preppy outfits or visit the Preppy Journal online (http://www.rugbypreppy.com) to see Preppy articles and styles.
# Wear preppy shoes and acessories like these:
* Pearl necklaces and earrings as well as diamond jewelery (make sure it's small not fake looking and doesn't look to trashy or tacky)
o Most preps wear their mother's, grandmother's or aunt's old diamond and pearl jewelry, as an "old money" thing.
* Small handbags (preferably Coach or Dooney and Burke) in simple colors and patterns or large, monogrammed tote bags (Vineyard Vines, L.L. Bean, and Lands' End have good choices).
* Hair accessories such as headbands (silk/satin scarf headbands or hard headbands with ribbon bows) and grosgrain ribbons in preppy colors, prints, and patterns.
* Ribbon belts in a variety of preppy prints, patterns, and colors or, especially for guys, black or brown leather belts.
* Preppy girls wear ballet flats, top-siders (boat shoes), ribbon canvas flip flops, Rainbow sandals, and simple leather high heels and wedges in shoes.
* Preppy guys wear classical loafers, leather moccasins, suede loafers, boat shoes (top-siders) or leather flip flops. For formalwear they wear leather dress shoes in black or brown.
Wearing a pair of top-siders without socks is classic preppy.