Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited KingdomLondon · 1 decade ago

When traveling through England and Ireland is it best to rent a car or use public transportation?

I am traveling to England and Ireland this summer and have looked into several different options. I've looked into renting a car or just using public transportation (i.e. the railways and buses). It will be my first time in Europe and I want to see as much as possible! I plan on spending time in Dublin, Manchester, London and surrounding areas. How should I travel?

Favorite Answer

I'm going to assume that the driving itself won't be too much of a challenge for you---the "other" side stuff. There are a lot of road rules, for example--in England, there are not a lot of stop signs on every corner, it can get a little confusing when everyone to your right has the right of way.

Parking is a HUGE challenge and expensive.

For the most part, especially within London (and I think also Dublin & Manchester) it's easy to use the public transport and go where you need to go. In addition to the ease and saving money, you will be experiencing real life instead of insulating yourself in a car. (I like to see what it's really like...)

If you're wanting to stay mostly in the city---don't bother with renting a car. If you want to explore very rural areas, then a car is definitely needed...perhaps you could just rent one for those particular days.

Plan on having a great time, whichever way you go!!

Source(s): An American living in the UK

Ultimately you have to decide what you are willing to give up. However, I offer you this: renting an automatic costs a fortune. "Well then", you say, "I'll just drive stick."

The problem there is that you are driving with your hands backwards, in a strange location that you don't know where you are going or how to get there, and you are on the wrong side of the road. All of the thinking that goes into re-training your msucles and trying not to turn into on-coming traffic when leaving parking lots (oh and then there's the parking!) is exhausting.

Driving in London and Dublin is pointless since you have nowhere to park and transportation is a snap. If you can take the train to where you want to go in between (there are also busses that go to sights) then that is for sure the way to go. You can relax and talk to people on the train.

Source(s): Trip to London, southern and central England. I was the navigator for an exhausted driver who was driving an automatic. He was a jerk after 6 hours on the road!!

It would be best for you to rent a car. Not much public transport available in the Wicklow area and you could do a google search of car hire in Ireland to see if is possible to rent an automatic car to your liking.

It all depends on how much you're willing to spend. We rented a car for two trips out of London - we drove to Dover to hike in the White Cliffs and again to drive to Windsor Castle. Using a credit card won't guarantee you the best fees. The merchant may "sit on it" until the rates go up then turn it in to your card company. This way you'll be paying a lot more than you expected. That happened to me for some of my purchases - I was still getting London bills on my statement for 3 months after my trip! Take as much public transportation as you can. Buy a visitors pass for the tubes/buses or walk when you can.

I'd go for using public transport with the option of hireing a car for the odd day when you're in an isolated rural area. Public transport in British cities is excellent and the national rail network is dense and frequent. There are all sorts of bargain rail passes for overseas visitors

such as the Britrail Pass www.britrail.com If you're in the U.S. you can get info on the pass by telephoning 1-866-938-Rail. These 2 websites

will give you a lot of info on rail travel in Britain

www.nationalrail.co.uk

www.seat61.com

It depends on how much travelling you want to do outside of the cities. Driving in London is difficult and parking is really expensive. I would recommend public transport and the occasional taxi (actually i would recommend buying a cheap bike and using that!).

For travelling between cities, i would recommend the train.

For travelling OUTSIDE of cities, i.e. to get out into the countryside, small villages, woods, moors, mountains etc. you will need to rent a car.

Source(s): Been living in the UK for nearly 20 years.