Any tips about packing?

Hello, i am going to Mongolia for 4 months and I only have 20kgs worth of baggage available. Any tips about things I shouldn't take and things I should take? Any tips about getting everything in my baggage? Thanks

• Kris L
    Favorite Answer

Think of the general climate where you will be going, and the 'bare minimum' clothes you'll need. Will there be any stores handy, or will you need to rely on what you bring ... and may want to give as 'gifts' or trade. Get a good 'safari vest/coat' with lots of pockets, but you should wear this when you leave, not pack it. Keep every piece of 'legal paper' (money, passport and visa, travel documents, etc) in that and get used to wearing it before you leave home. Pack only enough for 8 days (you'll be doing laundry once a week, and you'll need to 'change' while doing it) and be sure that you take only things that can be 'rolled up tightly' and look good when unrolled. 1 kg = .6 pounds, so your 20 kg will be equal to 12 pounds, total. Weigh everything (including the baggage) together, and try for less weight ... and you'll find ways to 'use less' ... don't take things like shampoo and conditioner or anything 'wet' at all, get the lightest in weight fabric ... and 'cut corners' ... wear only clothes that will keep you warm or cool, and can be worn at all times. Read about Mongolia and about how they live ... you should be fine with two or three shirts, and two pairs of slacks, a pair of shorts (bermudas) and you should be 'good to go' ...

uh, previous poster is way off on kilo to pounds conversion. A single kilogram is just under 2 and 1/4 pounds - 35.27 oz.

20 kilos is about 44lbs. If you don't have to pack food & water you will find this to be plenty.

If I was going backpacking with a 44 pound pack and not taking food, I would take a tent, sleeping bag, pad and about 4 changes of clothes (twice that many socks). If you have arranged for indoor sleeping the tent may not be necessary. I'm pretty fond of my sleeping bag even if I'm staying indoors (2.5 lbs). I would take some collapsible water containers anyway, maybe a filter.

I like "performance fishing gear" there are several brands that bear this claim. This type of clothing is light weight and drys very fast. But you may want to buy local clothes when you get there, just so that you look less weird.

You can learn to do your laundry in a large baggie, one piece at a time. The big baggies will help you pack it tighter too; roll it up, stick in in, press the air out, and seal it.

When packing your clothes, you don't want to neatly fold them individually as you would in a dresser. If you do, they will crease when compressed.

Rolling Your Clothes

Backpackers swear by this method. Rolling works well with pants, skirts and sports shirts. Lay the item face down, fold back the sleeves and then roll from the bottom up.

Fold Clothes Together

Take two or more garments, for example trousers, and lay half of one pair on top of the other. Fold the one on the bottom over the pair on the top. Then take the other and fold it on the top. This gives each pair some cushion where you've folded it so it's less likely to crease or wrinkle in the folds.

Get the bags that shrink down the clothing. You can get them that use the vacuum or you can squeeze the air out. A large bag can fit 3-4 outfits in one bag and shrinks it down to nothing. We used 4 bags to fit on a carry on. 3 outfits in one bag, shoes and accessories in another, and all bathroom in the 3rd bag. Just buy extra bags to pack for your trip home, they do have a tendency to tear when they are opened. Buy a 2 large set to see exactly how much you can get in one bag and then go from there. They usually run around 20 us.

no sorry but idl love to go to mongolia