Has anyone actually had derogatory items from credit report removed by writing a letter?

I'm interested to see if anyone has actually had success in having creditors remove negative items from their credit report by either writing to them or talking over the phone.

Best Answer

Yes, I had one removed last year. Some junk debt collector bought a debt that was time barred (I refused to pay for a cell-phone service that didn't work in my area.)

I sent a validation request and all they did was sell it off to another junk debt collector. I wrote the credit reporting agency and sent them my copies and proof of delivery (certified mail/return receipts) and the item was removed within 30 days.

Absolutely YES! Now that you have paid your debts, all you need to do is purchase a copy of your credit report (online) WITH SCORE. Next, use the online feature "dispute this account" to initiate an investigation of the debt. %99 of the time, the debtor never bothers to respond/dispute the account because it is not worth their response time. Their efforts are best spent working to collect on truly bad accounts with high amounts owed. When a company does not respond within 30 days, the negative information is automatically removed from your credit report. It's beautiful! Of course, if the company later disputes this (which is rare), and can prove the negative information is true the worst that can happen is they put it back on your report. Again, this takes way too much time and effort when dealing with someone who has already paid their account off - so dispute away, it's free to do so! You only pay for the credit report with score.

When I was 18, I found out that my identity had been stolen. I had to call all three of the major credit bureaus and explain that I wasn't 18, that at the time I was 14. Talking to them was the easy part. Actually calling the places who held the account was a lot harder. Dominion East Ohio took me over a year to get it cleared with them. Embarq gave me the run around. They said Sprint held the account and Sprint said Embarq held the account. FInally Embarq admitted to holding it and cleared my name. The newspaper said I owed like $225 for a run up in advertising, but were real easy to get them to clear the account.

I would say as a rule, don't count on getting blemishes removed. Even though I was 14 when my ID was stolen, a couple places actually wanted me to provide police reports stating my ID was stolen and it was being investigated. After many arguments about me not being responsible for accounts they allowed under my SSN before I turned 18, they finally caved.

As I said before, don't count on it, but it can happen.

Source(s): personal experience

I have 10 creditor remove in a month time by dispute the original creditor first and then dispute the creditor bureau after it work true me if you need help email me at vanessa2806@live.com

Sure. But it was always in cases where the creditor was wrong. They won't just do it to be nice.