Why faith over deeds?

Why does the Christian god value faith so much and view deeds without faith "as filthy rags"? If I, as an Atheist, devoted my life to humanitarian works, I would be sent to hell because I don't believe. But a Christian who believes and does only a few good works would go to heaven. How does this seem just to you?

Linda - Wow. Way to be condescending by putting quotations on "good". Why should I want a relationship with a god who would rather I talk to him than help the people he ignores constantly (homeless/starving kids)?

A Christian - But do you think it's just that an Atheist who devotes his life to humanitarian works goes to hell, while a Christian who doesn't even do half of what the Atheist does goes to heaven?

Favorite Answer

According to many Christians in this forum, if the repentant murder, child molester, or rapist takes that silly John 3:16 oath of allegiance, they are rewarded with eternal salvation, while the morally upstanding individual you describe is condemned to hell.

I don't understand Christians at all. I would not want to spend my time with a g'd who treats his creations in that manner.

Some of your post is a little confusing (long sentences), so I may not fully satisfy your questions. So I apologize ahead of time if that happens. But by saying that the Bible is written solely by men directly contradicts the Christian faith. Christians believe that the Bible is inspired by God and that he used humans to write his word.

2 Timothy 3:16

All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and make us realize what is wrong in our lives. . . . God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work.

It seems like a self-referring logical fallacy, but the proofs are there. Prophecies were written hundreds of years before events, and the events unfolded exactly as described in scripture. Prophecies are being fulfilled right now as well. And the biggest proof of all is that Jesus raised from the dead. If you want to disprove Christianity, all you have to do is prove that he didn't raise from the dead. The Bible even says that much.

1 Corinthians 15:14

And if Christ has not been raised, then all our teaching is useless, and your faith is useless.

Moving on to your other point, I understand what you're saying about how faith doesn't seem as valuable as deeds. However, these "Christians" you're encountering, may not be Christians at all.

James 2: 14-17

What good is it, dear brothers and sister, if you say you have faith but don't show it by your actions? Can that kind of faith save anyone? Suppose you see a brother or sister who has no food or clothing, and you say, "Good-bye and have a good day; stay warm and eat well"-- but then don't give that person any food or clothing. What good does that do?

So you see, faith by itself isn't enough. Unless it produces good deeds, it is dead and useless.

So the "Christians" you encounter may not be Christians at all. However, you could consider them "bad people," but they could still be bound to go to heaven. It all depends on where their hearts are. If the truly accept Jesus and repent for their sins, they are saved. You should be able to see this through their actions, but God is the ultimate judge.

Does that help?

The logic behind it is that none are worthy of heaven, but God being the wonderful loving being he is, allows people to have eternal life with him if they acknowledge that they aren't worthy, ask his forgiveness for not being worthy and accept the gift he offers them. Good works don't allow you to go to heaven, because no matter how many good works you do, you're still a sinner and therefore unworthy of God.

This however is a rather flawed concept in my eyes. It makes sense that those who refuse to believe they are imperfect aren't given the chance to be with perfection, but what many christians fail to understand is that it's not a choice. According to the whole asking Jesus for forgiveness thing, a person who acknowledges that they are unworthy of the gift that is life, and tries to make the most of it, always knowing they can't consider themselves close to worthy of something so great, will still go to hell because they didn't ask for forgiveness from jesus specifically. And there are plenty of people who hold this belief, even though they don't believe in the christian god. It is not that they chose to oppose god or deny their inferiority to him, it's just that he's not there.

So if these people go to hell, what's the point of God's little "test"? He clearly isn't after people who acknowledge their imperfection, or these people would be in heaven too, even if they didn't believe in a God. Does he really only want to reward those who blindly listen to men, who have already proven themselves countless times to be imperfect and untrustworthy? When people follow the bible, they have chosen to obey words written by men, instead of listening to the God they insist on being a follower of. This is just dumb.

"Why should I want a relationship with a god who would rather I talk to him than help the people he ignores constantly?" Sweet, added to my list of memorable quotes.

Because everyone sins. It sucks but the best person in the world could go to hell, and a child rapists seriel killer could go to heaven as long as they ask for forgiveness. It's not like God's asking for a lot. It does seem messed up, but then all they had to do was ask for forgiveness and believe. I believe sin is sin, and if someone is truely sorry for what they did, then they should go to heaven.

plus its not like you can't do all those good things and still walk with him, you can do both.

All of us have but 1 Judge. He is cardio-knostic. No human can judge another human. Only God.

Any Christian who claims to know who goes to hell is truly in danger of his own damnation.

Part of having faith is doing what He wants, which basically is doing humanitarian works and such.

Because it isn't about being a good worker bee; it's about establishing a relationship with God. God doesn't need us to do this, or that; He wants us to learn how to talk to Him, and how to listen to Him. To walk with Him and enjoy what He has made.

Then, you can go ahead and do "good" works al you want. but, not one of those works will ever, ever, EVER earn you a single thing except these praise of man.