What are you doing to help combat climate change?

I work in environmental mgmt in a large corporation - I'm trying to make a difference.

At home I am saving water where I can and making sure unused lights are turned off.

I can't afford the installation of rainwater tanks, or solar panels..but I'm trying in my little way!

How about you?

Remember: You have to be the change you wish to see in the world!

LOL...turning air conditioner up : )

Funny : )

Favorite Answer

''environmental management' - now there's a department that was unheard off 10-15 years ago :)

This is what annoys me - when someone's does something to reduce their costs (which is how I prefer to call the phenomena that is known as ''going green''), it is packaged under the heading 'combating Global warming / Climate Change'

why can't people just say, I'm turning off the lights and using a more efficient mode of transport, and recycling because I am a responsible person and I want to save a few pounds.

I'd love to help with this combating climate change, but it's my week out at the beach to push the tide all the way back to Texas.

Seriously you have virtually no chance of muscling around the Earth's climate. Even if humans had much control, and we don't, you can't gain control over enough humans to make a difference.

The reason you can't afford solar panels and rainwater tanks is that they are so inefficient that there is a bigger impact on the environment to make the darn things than there is in using conventional power and water.

Do you want to actually help the environment, as opposed to doing feel good marginal stuff? Pick up litter. Get a group of people and some garbage bags and go de-litter some parcel of nature. Litter harms wildlife and when it breaks down it gets into the water, plus it looks like crap.

I recommend picking up litter for three reasons. 1) It's easy to do. 2) It actually does make a difference. and 3) It's put up or shut up. I find most people who are "serious" about saving the planet, get really un-serious when it involves actual labor or sacrifice on their part.

• ?

we dont' live in a monster house bigger than we need just to soothe our egos like some folks do. to me that is a huge waste of power and resources.

we've always turned off lights when we aren't in a room, we use those new light-bulbs in our light fixtures, in the winter we've always kept our heat turned down to 60' at night and 70' throughout the day. we traded our pickup truck in on a more fuel efficient car, we always use transit whenever possible, we don't use throw-away containers, we have huge tanks that we use to save the winter rain water, our washing machine drains into a large barrel outside as well and i use that water for the flower garden, we are in the midst of changing our flower garden into a more drought resistant garden so it won't take as much water. we tore out all the grass lawns that required watering and planted drought resistant plants. it all takes money so we have been doing a little bit at a time as far as plants - it has taken us two years thus far, this year it will finally all be done and our grounds will be almost no care - almost everything will thrive on the water nature provides and our saved winter rain water will go to the veggie garden.

it isn't much but its something - we can't afford solar panels or the like but we have always tried to do our best to leave as small a footprint as we can, we haven't just jumped on the bandwagon so to speak! lol

Every one can stop panicking i have sorted agw out for you all.

Yesterday i went to the cashpoint in the local coop, when i asked for a balance the screen said 'do you want a receipt ? or help the planet by saving paper. Needless to say with the planet at stake i selflessly had an on screen balance. Job done , planet sorted, nice one eh.

I'm using my chainsaw more efficiently. I add extra oil to the fuel mix so the saw will last longer, and cut more trees at one time, thus saving trips to the woods.

• davem

Climate change is natural, so I do nothing to try to combat it. Why fight nature when this has happened many times before in precisely the same manner?

I'm trying to use as much gas and electricity as possible. The cooling trend we're in really needs to be stopped.

Not believing I'm doing something that will help when I'm not.

You'd be surprised just how important that particular step is.

It used to be called weather. Can't combat that.

I've been running the A/C a lot more...I figure if it's getting so warm, I should "cool" it off.