JG asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

Who thinks the legal drinking age should be lowered to 18?

america is the strictest country when it comes to alcohol of any kind

Update:

im a 17 yr old junior, ive never drank while driving. Ive never had a wreck! and i dont do drugs, though i think that marijuana should be legalized, but thats another story...

it has been proven that the younger children are introduced to alcohol the more likely they are to NOT abuse alcohol. other countries such as france, belgium, and italy have a REALLY low drinking age, i bought several beers while i was there. i think that if they lower the drinking age the punishment for a DUI etc. should be higher than it is now.

Update 2:

and yeah Tyler C, you are damn right!

Update 3:

and a ten year old is commenting on this? i respect your opinion but cmon...

33 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I do!

That's when you're officially considered an adult, so saying you can't drink 'till you're 21 is telling a person who is already an adult that they you're expected to do everything else at that age, driving, working, even paying taxes, but you can't drink.

psh. =_=

• Login to reply the answers
  • raysny
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

The US is the ONLY country in the world with a 21-year old drinking age. My personal feeling is that if you're old enough to be married, you might need a drink now and again.

"The Legal Drinking Age: Science vs. Ideology" by David J. Hanson, Ph. D.

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/YouthIssues/10463...

The Drinking Age Should Be Lowered: Interview with Dr. Ruth Engs

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/YouthIssues/10535...

It's Better to Teach Safe Use of Alcohol by David J. Hanson, Ph.D.

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/YouthIssues/10443...

Teach Safe Drinking to Your College-Bound Teen by Dwight B. Heath, Ph.D.

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/YouthIssues/10443...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

it used to be 18. when i was 18 ( 1978 ) i was a senior in high school. i would go during lunch to the corner tavern and get drunk. the legal age went to 21 when i was 21. lol

18 is not a good age. i was immature as most 18 year olds. this was in milwaukee wisconsin

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If you can join the armed forces and go to a foreign country to kill or be killed for your country when your 18, then you should sure as hell be allowed to drink as well.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

everyone that likes to drink that is between 18 and 21 thinks it should be dropped to 18.myself included.but i can deal with drinking in my apartment behind closed doors for another year.

• 1 decade ago

i think the drinking age should be 15 years old, and the driving age should be 18 years old.

european countries seriously have a better system.

i know its not popular amongst teenagers to raise the drinking age, but most 16 year olds are seriously not mature enough to drive.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

that's true. and it's also the country with the most alcohol abuse in teenagers. teens tend to want to drink just because they aren't allowed to. lower the drinking age and people teens would probably cut back

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I really don't think they should. There are people who are in their 50's and they don't drink responsibly. But then again a lot of teens do it anyways. But even if they did lower it other teens who don't drink would start. Does that make sense?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I do. Better to have 18 year olds drink in bars with licensed bartenders than in an apartment behind closed doors.

• 1 decade ago

I think the draft age and the drinking age should be the same. When you are old enough to die for your country, you should be old enough to drink in it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.