Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

Do you think that the drinking age in America should be lowered to 18 like the UK ?

Or should the uk drinking age be higher like America ?

• ZCT
    Favorite Answer

Yes.

It seems unreasonable that a person becomes an adult at the age of 18, but is then denied rights of adults until the age of 21.

If you are old enough to buy a gun, join the army, have a baby, buy a house with a 30 year mortgage, drive a car, vote, and be executed for a crime, you should also be able to buy a beer if you want to.

In my opinion holding back certain rights until 21 causes Americans to take longer maturing. This is not a good thing.

Also because of the hassle of obtaining alcohol, many teens instead abuse prescription and illegal drugs. When they can get hold of alcohol they tend to get the strongest thing they can find and binge drink on it.

It just doesn't make sense to run the law this way.

So no, the law in Britain needs to be left alone. If you are an adult you are an adult, it's that simple. Why copy America on this issue, when their system doesn't really work?

I think that the drinking age is meaningless, so it'd be a lot less effort to leave it as it is.

Lowering the drink age won't mean loads of 18 year olds start drinking, because a hell of a lot of them all ready do.

Just like making the UK's drinking age higher won't make any difference.

If kids go out getting drunk when they're 14 as it is, changing the legal age by a few years isn't going to stop them drinking, nor make more people drink.

• monts

The ingesting age will probable stay at 21 for the foreseeable destiny. there isn't a super type of push to diminish it. element of the subject is that by using the time 18 3 hundred and sixty 5 days olds get something going they are already purely approximately 21. stay in Canada till you're 21. by using the way, there is not any draft interior the U.S.

In my humble opinion, it would be a big mistake. And in fact I think gun laws, particularly, in the States should be raised to come in line with the drinking age!!!

I think the UK would be doing everybody, including those 18 year olds who are lying in the gutters every Friday and Saturday night, a favour by raising the drinking age. It's a shambles here, and I feel so very sorry for the police who have to pick up the dregs of a weekend.

Yes i think they should lower the age to 18 because usually when people under the age of 21 drink is because its illegal and they just like to brake the rules so if they lower it to 18 i believe that theres going to be less people drinking...

and also because im 13 and i been drinking since i was 9 and i cant wait till i can drink without my mom haveing a ***** fit (:

• nahcm

With sexual assault on the rise, along with DUI's & DWI's, murder, aggravated assault the limit should actually be risen from 21 to 25.

It's called adolescence and at that time people do what they want to do. Having sex, getting your hear broken, being able to have educated conversations that contain disagreements between the people involved without fighting, these are all experiences that would have a better outcome if alcohol was not involved.

If a person should decide to stay stupid after experiencing adolescence then so be it. But we as a society owe it to everyone to give them a fighting chance and not fall victim to alcohol related incidents.

Speaking as a citizen of the UK, i'd say no.

We have a really bad "binge drinking" culture in this country - kids as young as 13 staying out and drinking in parks all night. I think the lower legal exacerbates this problem, as drink is something a lot of people here do. Saturday nights in town centres are awful as few people have a responsible attitude towards alcohol

I don't feel our legal age should be lowered as it would be unfair to take away a 19 year old's legal right to drink just to raise it to 21 - something they do one day being legal then illegal the next, but from what (little, I guess) I know about your country, you're better off with the age of 21 being the legal age.

This country is going to shite....

• Innit

I'd go for raising the uk age, but then it's a while since I was under 21!

No. Some states are even raising the age to be licensed to drive. I'm sure the drinking age won't be dropped to 18 anytime soon.

• D

No. In saying that when I went to America I was under 21 so it was strange not being able to get a drink.