What Bible advice can I give to help a woman who kept a guilty secret from her husband?

She told me she did not confess to her husband before he died that she had been unfaithful to him and now she's worried about how this might affect her standing before God. I know it is vital that she confess her sin before God and seek forgiveness at the foot of the cross, but I don't know if she has done this.... show more She told me she did not confess to her husband before he died that she had been unfaithful to him and now she's worried about how this might affect her standing before God. I know it is vital that she confess her sin before God and seek forgiveness at the foot of the cross, but I don't know if she has done this. Before I write back to her, I need scriptures to help present the Christian perspective on sin, repentance and forgiveness. I want to encourage and uplift her, not make her feel worse than she already does. At the same time I suspect she may not have a solid grasp on the divine principles of repentance and the forgiveness of sin.

What Bible verses could I use to help her move on and put this right?
Update: Thanks for the email, dancingdog - it's very helpful.
Update 2: My heartfelt thanks to everyone who contributed from the Bible. So many people used 1 John 1:8-9, and it is such a powerful and comforting message. Here are the scriptures I have used for my response: 1 John 1:8-9 Acts 3:19 Romans 5:8 Hebrews 4:16 Hebrews 8:12 Psalm 103:12 I also used the account of the... show more My heartfelt thanks to everyone who contributed from the Bible. So many people used 1 John 1:8-9, and it is such a powerful and comforting message. Here are the scriptures I have used for my response:

1 John 1:8-9
Acts 3:19
Romans 5:8
Hebrews 4:16
Hebrews 8:12
Psalm 103:12

I also used the account of the adulterous woman before Jesus and how he did not condemn her.

So many of you uplifted me and I am grateful for your words of wisdom. Thank you.
Update 3: Thanks to divine intervention for that wonderful poem - it is so true!
Update 4: Great scripture from Steinbeck - I confess it was the love of God that drew me, and the compassion of Jesus throughout the gospels that attracted me. However, God is also holy and righteous and cannot look upon sin. A balance has to be struck.