Should taxpayers be able to choose?

What do you think about setting a standard tax % and allowing the taxpayer to choose where and to what programs their money goes towards?

Favorite Answer

Well, I don't like to see my hard earned money being used to kill Iraqi civilians, but what I could do about it I did on Election Day,

• Bob

Terrible idea. The entire idea behind taxes is that you have people decide what sorts of things they want by common provision, and then, the government provides those things. If people want to choose what their tax dollars are being spent on, they should pay attention during the election.

Practically speaking, if people could choose what to spend their taxes on it would be no different from having taxes at all. You wouldn't have roads or schools or police in poor areas, etc.

• meg

We pay a lot of different taxes income tax , payroll tax, excise tax, sales tax, property tax, as well as fees and licenses. When you suggest a standard tax % I do not know what you mean. I do know that federal, state and local government spend 30% of GDP so they will have to collect that much of money.

Who would choose to pay interest of the debt which accounts for 19% of our federal taxes.

• miss

I definitely think there should be a flat tax rate %!!! Enough of this progressive tax rate; but it is not practical to let them chose where their money goes because there will be some programs that have tons of funding and some that have none.

Like not allocating your tax dollars for the Iraq War.

Would you choose not to have fire service, and live next door to me?

How would a cop know if you have paid for "police protection"

What if I choose not to support the troops, would you pay double?

the only problem is...

there are government agencies that are needed... that no one would give their money too...

like the treasury dept... no one will give their money to them... but it's got to have some money...