How to make the most delicious siomai?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
I want to know if there is a secret ingredient in making the tastiest siomai.
Update : siomai or dumplings?
Best Answer
The secret really is fresh ingredient and really chop the ingredient small--like paste. Use good quality sesame oil and a bit more than this recipe

Ingredients:
3/4 pound ground pork
1/4 pound raw shelled shrimp, ground
(Believe me, I used a scale to measure these, but of course, you can approximate.)
1-1/2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tbsp Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
1 tbsp sesame oil
1/2 tbsp sugar
Dash of pepper
1 egg white
1-1/2 tsbp cornstarch
won-ton skins (I buy Nasoya brand)
green peas or chopped hard-cooked egg yolks for garnish

(Note: I usually buy pork chops then grind them using my Kitchen Aid attachment, since I can't find ground pork for sale here. I grind other ingredients as well, like the shrimp. when making lumpia, I also grind the garlic, onions, and other veggies.)

Procedure (I revised according to how I made it):
To make filling: Mix together ground pork, ground shrimp, soy sauce, rice wine or sherry, sesame oil, sugar, pepper and egg white until mixture is well blended and smoth. Stir in cornstarch. Place in a storage bag and cut one corner big enough for the content to squeeze through. Place about 1 tbsp or so of filling in the middle of wonton skin and gather the skin around the filling. Dip a teaspoon in water and use to smooth the surface of the meat.

Garnish by placing a green pea or chopped egg yolk on top of meat. Repeat with the rest of the wonton/filling. Line a steamer with a damp cloth; steam over high heat 5 minutes or until done. Serve with your fave dip (I use soy sauce/kalamansi juice as a dip. When I was in PI, I used to like it with chili paste.)

Shrimp.

Siomai

Ingredients

1 cup chopped shrimps
1 pack siomai wrapper
1/4 cup ground pork
oil for brushing
1 cup chopped singkamas
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 onion, finely chopped,
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon soy sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
In a bowl, combine all ingredients except siomai wrapper and oil. Blend well. Separate wrappers then put 2 tablespoons of the filling into each wrapper. Form into bonnet-like shapes. Transfer to a lightly greased steamer then brush tops with oil. Steam for about 30 minutes or until done. Serve with a dipping sauce of Kalamansi and soy sauce.

Beef.

500 g. of cooked egg noodles
8-10 c. of meat broth
1 carrot, peeled and julienned
6-8 leaves of pechay baguio, cut into 1″ strips
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 c. of finely chopped sibuyas na mura (onion leaves)

To make the siomai :

250 g. of ground lean beef
3 black chinese mushrooms, stems removed and caps finely chopped
1/2 carrot, peeled and grated
1 onion, finely chopped
1/2 tbsp. finely minced garlic
1/8 c. of finely chopped leeks or sibuyas na mura (green onions)
1/4 tsp. of pepper
1/2 tsp. of salt
1/2 tbsp. of light soy sauce
1 tsp. of sesame seed oil
1 egg, lightly beaten
15 to 20 pcs. of wonton wrapper (depending on the size)
1/2 tsp. of cooking oil

Cooking procedure :

Mix together the ingredients for the siomai, except the egg, wonton wrapper and cooking oil. Reserve a teaspoon of the beaten egg and pour in the rest into the meat mixture. Mix well.

Add 1 tbsp. of water to the remaining beaten egg and stir to form egg wash.

Separate the wonton wrappers. Fill each wrapper with 1 tbsp. of the meat mixture. Wet the edges with egg wash and push the edges upward, pressing them together.

Brush a heatproof plate with the 1/2 tsp. of cooking oil. Arrange the siomai on the plate and steam over simmering water for 25-30 minutes.

While steaming the siomai, prepare the noodles and the vegetables. If using dried noodles, cook according to package directions, drain and keep warm. If using fresh, blanch in briskly boiling water for about 3 minutes to remove the excess salt and oil. Drain and keep warm.

Heat the meat broth. When nearing boiling point, add the carrot stips. Bring to a boil. Add the pechay baguio. Turn off the heat.

To serve :

Place the noodles in individual soup bowls. Top with 4-5 pieces of siomai. Ladle the hot broth and vegetables over them. Sprinkle with finely chopped sibuyas na mura (onion leaves).

Soup.

Ingredients:
8-10 c. of meat broth
salt and pepper to taste

To make the siomai :

350 g. of ground lean pork
1/4 k. of shrimps, shelled, deveined and finely chopped
1/2 carrot, peeled and grated
1 onion, finely chopped
1/2 tbsp. finely minced garlic
1/4 tsp. of pepper
1/2 tsp. of salt
1/2 tbsp. of light soy sauce
1 tsp. of sesame seed oil
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp. of cooking oil
Instructions:
Mix together the ingredients for the siomai, except the egg, wonton wrapper and cooking oil. Reserve a teaspoon of the beaten egg and pour the rest
  • 1
  • Comment

Other Answers (1)

• ryegnsre answered 6 years ago
    fresh shrimp!

240 g Fresh shrimps, well minced
    240 g Minced fatty pork
    120 g Crabmeat, cooked
    150 g Wonton skins or wrappers
    2 pieces Dried Chinese mushrooms, soaked and minced
    3 pieces Water chestnuts, minced
    1 stalk Spring onion (scallion), thinly sliced
    1 tbsp Crab roe, cooked
    1 tsp Salt
    1/2 Sesame oil
    1 Egg white
    Pepper, Cornflour and vegetable oil

place all the minced shrimps, fatty pork and crabmeat in a large mixing bowl. mix the ingredients well, best with your hands.

add in the salt, sesame oil, pepper and egg white and work into the mixture evenly, then add in the oil and sprinkle a generous amount of cornflour, then drizzle a little oil over the mixture and continue to work mix.

add in the mushrooms, water chestnuts and spring onions, work these into the mixture and mix well then set aside in a refrigerator for about an hour.

stamp wonton skins into rounds with a biscuit cutter. size is up to you.

spoon the filling into the center and gather the edge of the wrapper to the top and let it pleat naturally.

add a bit of the crab roe on the top.

rub/spray a little oil in a the steamer basket, place the siew mais in, cover the top, and steam over rapidly boiling water for about 20 - 30 minutes or until cooked.

Source(s):

i love dimsum!
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Member since:
    Points: Points: Level
    Total answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock