Anyone think this "BAILOUT" is a sham?

I know that no matter what we do, one way or another we will be paying for it, but if this bailout is so pressing, why is it taking so long to pass?

I know it is full of fat and so on, just want to hear your thoughts.

Favorite Answer

Not dealing with it is hurting us. There is no question about it. I would imagine it won't be long after pensions start getting drained that the tune will change.

Don't get me wrong, I hope it doesn't happen, but anybody with some sort of investment knows it is not good.

It is no wonder that the bailout is hugely impopular, because in essence, it amounts to taking taxpayers' money to save the profit of large banks, in a "reverse Robin Hood" operation: take it from the poor and give it to the rich so they can continue to turn a profit, on the excuse that "their profit is everybody's gain".

However, if we analyze it from a strictly pragmatic point of view, it is probably true that the consequences of a massive economic breakdown will be much worse for everybody than burning taxpayers' money in this operation, unfair as it may be.

So, in my opinion, from the moral point of view it is wrong, but from the pragmatic point of view, it is necessary.

The finer points in the bailout try to mitigate this unfairness by, for instance, establishing that the banks should return the benefits of to society in general along few years, and the US government would keep tabs on that and enforce that policy. To what extent this will work, it is uncertain, especially because it is difficult to define exactly what "giving back" means in legal terms.

I am not an American, but if my country were in the United States' situation, i'd definitely be supportive of a bailout operation, but would at the same time loathe the idea. It would be a necessary evil. Letting the banks break to "teach them a lesson" would end up having adverse consequences on millions of people who don't have anything to do with the crisis, so in essence we'd be making 1000 people suffer in order to punish 10, and that's harder to accept than any bailout plan.

Source(s): Just my thoughts.

Bt has no clue!

With a fiat money system and the Federal Reserve all we are doing is making this a worse mess for later. Home prices are trying to come down according to the law of the market. The non-liquidated assets are worthless because nobody wants them. Let the market take care of this problem because in the end it will anyway. All the bailout will do is tax, indebt, and plummet the value of our dollar further.

Yes. I do. Everyone wants to get their special interest groups into the pork of the bill. That's why it's taking so long. It's crap. I shouldn't have to pay for peoples bad choices. Besides that things aren't going to get better because of this bail out. It's only prolonging it. I just want to get the worst of it over with already. I wish the bailout would fail!

Yeah, the bailouts are a total sham, any other business would be expected to sink or swim.

If they were to ask me if I wanted to bail out these crooks I say no. They messed up by not watching how they ran their business. Why should we give them more money to flush down the drain? Are they going to pay us back? No Are they going to give us part of their profit? No They need to fail and we need a good old fashioned depression to snap the heads of our youth around to see that the world is not all me me me and that a hard work ethic means something. Is the government going to bail me out? No If they continue to mismanage their money and fail again what then? What happened to free enterprise? Bush wants big business to have a free hand to do as they see fit like not care about their employees and supply them with good health care or a decent wage. It is fair to go have a work force of part time employees and provide no benefits for them. So they have had their freedom let them keep it! Why bother them with the burden of having to answer to any one. I say let them all fail and wipe the slate clean. Their own greed has led them down this path of handing out loans with out securing the correct info to make sure that the person could pay. How dare these greedy ******** ask us for more money! Are we going to charge the 30% intrest that the credit card companys charge us to keep us as their slaves? I could keep on with all the ways that I am fed up with government sticking their hands into our business and our pockets but hey I have to go get some sleep so that I may go to my second job to pay my bills that no one is going to pay for me. Heck I just need a measly $40,000 to bail me out what do you say can we add this to the tab?

Source(s): Angry Me

Only us that gotta pay for it thru increased taxes!

Source(s): Vote out all house/senate incumbents!