I have high cholesterol and triglycerides

I drink mountaindew can this make it stay high? What are some common things that we eat that make it high?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

ohhh its not mountain dew!

cholesterol n triglycerides practically come from the same stuff that makes ppl obese!

so stay away from all that fat..........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

n all them yummy things that they tell us to eat on TV!!!!!!

n well...i had high cholesterol when i was 14.....i did a lotta exercise.bout an hour a day......n got it off!

• 4 years ago

Source(s): Cholesterol Never Again Naturally : http://Cholesterol.oruty.com/?GZI
  • 1 decade ago

Are you eating any cow flesh? That is one of the biggest culprits in elevated total cholesterol. The three factors that affect your cholesterol or lipids levels are genetics, diet and exercise.

Since triglycerides are circulating forms of fat, you might think that a high fat diet will raise triglycerides and a low fat diet would lower triglycerides. However, carbohydrate appears to be the most important dietary predictor of triglycerides. Diets high in carbohydrates, especially sugar, lead to increases in triglycerides.

Source(s): RN
  • Leigh
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://smarturl.im/aDFQp

There are many steps that you can take to lower your cholesterol naturally. Are you watching your diet? In addition to switching over to a low fat diet you should also be watching your sugar intake. Many people when doing low fat have a tendency to hit the highly sugared foods and this too can cause levels to go higher. Oatmeal - oatmeal is excellent in helping to lower cholesterol. However, you need to eat it often (daily) and it needs to be the unflavored type and the flavored ones usually have added fat. Soy products. Soy sterols have been proven to lower cholesterol levels. You can drink low fat soy milk and yogurts, which will help. I take Cholesterblock which is made from soy sterols which has helped me go down to normal cholesterol levels after a few high blood tests. You might want to check it out. You also get a home tester so you can see how fat your levels have dropped and it has a really good money back guarantee. If you like tofu, try adding more into your diet. How are your HDL levels? If these are low you need to try and get them higher with exercise. Even if you add a small amount of exercise into your lifestyle you should see a difference. Although it's soluble fiber that helps whisk cholesterol out of your body (oatmeal) you should also be sure that you are eating enough insoluble fiber from veggies and green salads as they help keep you regular and helps move the cholesterol out of your colon. Remember that cholesterol levels don't come down over night. They can often take 3-6 months to see a significant difference. In the grocery store look in the butter area for new spreads that use soy to lower levels. It will say so right on the package. You can also look for products through out the store that have the Best Life Diet seal of approval. These are low in fat and are heart healthy. Learn to check food labels for hidden fat. Many products that you never suspect fat are very high. Even the products that now are in 100 calorie packs may be high, you just get smaller sizes. It will take some work but you can get your levels down.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Food that is high in saturated fat and sugar. Also high in cholestrol. The best thing to do is cut out Mountain Dew it's gonna be hard I know. It has sugar in it but no fat or colesterol. Start taking some Omega oils and eat loads of fiber that helps (for lack of a better word) soak up the cholesterol. Watch your fat and cholesterol intake. Try all these things before going on meds, they can have long term side effects.

• 1 decade ago

the caffiene in your soda of choice causes retention of fats, so it could be helping to raise your triglycerides, which is, btw, an early indication of the potential for diabetes...you may want to give up soda pop altogether if you care about your health. As for as your cholesterol, there are different components to it, some fats are good, some bad, and both play a role in the total. Without knowing what your HDL is or your LDL, I cannot really advise you on diet.

Source(s): RN
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Fortunately, elevated triglycerides is one of the easiest problems to correct with the appropriate diet. Simple restriction of all sugars and grains.

Sugars and grains and require insulin secretion, which is a potent stimulus to the liver to produce triglycerides, and sugars and grains must be reduced if you are looking to lower your triglycerides.

High triglycerides in the blood are often seen in overweight people. But even people who are not overweight may have stores of fat in their arteries as a result of insulin resistance. These triglycerides in the blood are the direct result of carbohydrates from the diet being converted by insulin. These triglycerides do not come directly from dietary fats. They are made in the liver from any excess sugars which have not been used for energy.

• Mountain Dew does not cause high cholesterol and triglycerides.

What Causes High Cholesterol and Triglyceride Levels?

* Hereditary factors are the most common cause.

* A diet high in saturated fat and cholesterol increases cholesterol and triglyceride levels.

* Other disorders, such as diabetes mellitus, kidney disease, and hypothyroidism, may increase cholesterol and triglyceride levels.

* Certain drugs, such as estrogen, corticosteroids, retinoids, protease inhibitors, thiazide diuretics, and beta-blockers, may increase cholesterol and triglyceride levels.

* Obesity increases the risk of high cholesterol and triglyceride levels.

* Chronic, excessive alcohol use increases the risk of high cholesterol and triglyceride levels.

To help you control your cholesterol and triglycerides:

* Underlying causes of the disorder, such as diabetes and hypothyroidism, should be treated.

* Lifestyle changes, including eating a diet low in saturated fats and cholesterol, can have a great impact on high cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Other dietary measures include the use of foods that contain plant stanols and sterols, which are added to certain margarines and salad dressings, and foods rich in soluble fiber, such as cereal grains, legumes, and many fruits and vegetables.

* Weight loss is the most effective way to lower triglyceride levels.

* Quitting smoking and exercising may raise levels of “good” HDL cholesterol.

* Medications specifically designed to reduce blood cholesterol levels, such as bile acid sequestrants (cholestyramine, colestipol, and coesevelam), statins (lovastatin, pravastatin, simvastatin, fluvastatin, atorvastatin, and rosuvastatin), or niacin, may be prescribed when dietary modifications prove inadequate.

* Statins, niacin, or fibrates (gemfibrozil, fenofibrate) can be used to lower triglyceride levels when lifestyle measures fail to produce adequate results. Hypertriglyceridemia often requires treatment with a combination of a fibrate and a statin.

* In rare patients with extremely high cholesterol levels (familial hypercholesterolemia), repeated removal of blood plasma (plasmapheresis) may be recommended to lower blood cholesterol levels.

* Most people require long-term, even lifelong, treatment of hyperlipidemia with both lifestyle measures and medications.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

With every day pass, our country is getting into more and more trouble. The inflation, unemployment and falling value of dollar are the main concern for our Government but authorities are just sleeping, they don’t want to face the fact. Media is also involve in it, they are force to stop showing the real economic situation to the people. I start getting more concern about my future as well as my family after watching the response of our Government for the people that affected by hurricane Katrina.

According to recent studies made by World Bank, the coming crisis will be far worse than initially predicted. So if you're already preparing for the crisis (or haven't started yet) make sure you watch this video at http://www.familysurvival.tv and discover the 4 BIG issues you'll have to deal with when the crisis hits, and how to solve them fast (before the disaster strikes your town!) without spending $1,000s on overrated items and useless survival books.

• Mary
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Forget anything you have ever been told about Diabetes. And get this - it has nothing to do with insulin, exercise, diet or anything else you've heard in the past. It's all based on latest breakthrough research that Big Pharma is going Stir Crazy to hide from you. Visit here : https://tinyurl.im/aH1ng to find out what all the fuss is about.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.