sentaisix asked in SportsRunning · 1 decade ago

Anyone here on a Relay Team?

Hi, I was just wondering if there is anyone who was on a Relay team. It doesn't matter what distance. I was on the 4x100 Freshman/Sophmore this year. I just wanted to know if anyone had any tips or suggestions that they wanted to share with me because I plan on making the Relay team again for my Sophmore year.

I am First Leg so that means I start at the corners which is not a good thing for me since they are my weakness. Hand Offs I can do no problem.

I am better on straightaways but I have the best starts out of my whole team.

Best Answer

yeah i run the 4x100, and tha 4x200 on varsity both second leg.... well if you need help tell me what u think u need 2 improve on.............

okay then well if you feel that you are better on tha straight away then try 2 get 2nd of 4th leg....but if you want to start then make sure you get out the blocks quick and lean on the curve. have some of your body motion not going straight but on a curve. since you are going first you are gonna be on tha inside of tha track so make sure you are on your side cuz if your team mate is on his side it will be a clean and easy handoff....

yea, i am on our 4x4 and 4x8 and the 4xmile if we run it. We won the 4x8 state race and almost went to nationals. i have never run the 100 but i guess just run like heII. A good start seems to get the runners a lead. Work on your form to make sure it is perfect. Make sure you hand offs are really good cause that is where we fell behind in the 4x4. If your school has a winter track team then join it, usually it is mostly distance runners but the good sprinters come too and that way you will have an advantage. If you cant/dont then try to get some extra preseason training in. Run some fast 200s and do hill repeates as fast as you can for 20-30 seconds. Good luck!

in my 6 years of running track and field, i've ran on every possible relay in the middle and high school level. I've ran the 4 by 1, 4 by 2, 4 by4, 4 by 8 and the 800 medley relay. I ran 3rd leg on the 4 by 1 my freshman, sophomore and junior year, and 1st leg my 8th grade year. One thing for certain is if you use blocks, set them at the angle going into the curve. Then, also, make sure you lean into the curve as you run and run as close as you can to the line. This makes the curve shorter. While doing the handoff, make sure you stay close to the line. I had an accident my freshman year when 4th leg cut into my side instead of staying on the outside, my spikes caught on the back of hers and i went down, spiking my leg, skidding on the track. Also, when you are running, make sure you keep everything forward, dont let the body turn as you run and keep the arms from crossing the body. Also, pump the arms, the harder you pump them, the faster you run becuase the legs and arms work in unison.

Source(s): 6 years of running, helped coach this past years 4 by 1 team at my school

practise hand offs so those are down good at full speed and your team can save a significant amount of time. And its been a while so take with a grain of salt but i remember being told these wehn i did it. Toes flexed up when you drive your foot up. Make use of your arms but dont go cross body with them as that tampers with your momentum and has wasted energy, try to keep them straight. Also bring your legs down with force dont just let them fall to the ground. And lastly you are more likely to pull a hamstring if you are pulling your legs up to the back when you run (like doing butt kicks and then extending out into a stride motion) you want to bring your leg up powerful and ahead of you.

yea i run the 4 x 100, 4 x 200, 4 x 400 (my team and i are going to try out for the jr. olympics in the 4 x 400, im pretty sure we can make it to regionals even nationals at least

i had some pointers but bambi(1st post) took them all

just remember to stay flexible, especially in your calves, hams and quads, and do lots of squats to get really strong legs, thats the key

i used to be on a state relay team a few years ago.

Practise the 200m sprint it will increase your speed nd stamina and make your corners faster.

I'd practice hand-offs

i learned the hard way and messed it up once or twice :heh

im in the 4x400 and the 4x800 relays