Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Why is Lobster Not Kosher ?

Yeah, I watched Lion the Pig Farmer last night : )

Many Thanks

20 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I used to work with a couple of old Jewish ladies and they said that it's because shell fish often eat other fish and debris floating around the sea and therefore considered dirty....their loss is our gain I say!

• mayne
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Lobster Kosher

• papaw
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Shellfish is a culinary term for aquatic animals that are not fish, mammals, or reptiles, that are used as food; generally, molluscs, crustaceans, and echinoderms. Both salt-water and freshwater invertebrates are considered shellfish. Molluscs commonly used as food include the clam, mussel, oyster, winkle, and scallop. Some crustaceans commonly eaten are the shrimp and prawn, lobster, crayfish, and crab.

Lobster in particular is a great delicacy in the United States, where families in the northeast region make them into the centerpiece of a clam bake, usually for a special occasion. Lobsters are eaten on much of the East Coast; the American lobster ranges from Newfoundland down to about the Carolinas, but is most often associated with Maine.

Jewish Kosher Law traditions forbid the eating of shellfish. A rational basis taken up by some nonreligious people is the tendency of some shellfish to feed on waste or accumulate heavy metals or toxins in their tissues. Another is that some of these dishes are consumed raw (oysters, mussels, clams and shrimp, most notably) and have the potential to cause serious illness from shellfish poisoning. Some people suffer from potentially-fatal allergies to shellfish.

Leviticus 11:10  And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you:

11  They shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination.

12  Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you.

• 1 decade ago

They are the scavengers of the sea. In other words they eat the garbage at the bottom of the ocean.

According to God's health rule, we should not eat lobster or any other creature that doesn't have fins and scales. Ex. catfish, eels, shrimp, oysters, clams, crabs are unclean.

Leviticus 11 and Deuteronomy 14 talks about other animals which should not be eaten, like pig, frog, rabbit...

God gave these health laws for everyone, not just the Jews.

"the use of improper food defiles a person" Daniel 1:8

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

True is beautiful

It is important to note what has happened here. First, a Rabbinical interpretation decided (perhaps incorrectly as I am suggesting) that Kashkeshet means scales. It is taken as divine. Therefore, scale-less fish (such as catfish) are not Kosher (as they are not considered to be today). Then the next generation of Rabbis declared that Kosher fish do not lay eggs (ie scale-less fish do not lay eggs). This too is now considered divine and beyond reproach. So subsequent Rabbis, finding that the seemingly scale-less catfish lay eggs (cannot be!) conclude the only thing that is possible. Catfish do (they must) have scales, and they are permitted and Kosher. It must be that the scales fall off as it is drawn out of the water!

http://www.the-lighthouse.net/kashrut-and-seafood/

• Mr. E
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

If you check out the differences between what is and is not Kosher, you will find that Kosher animals are in most cases either herbivores that chew the cud or carnivores that do not eat dead or dying animals. Could be a health issue.

• 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Why is Lobster Not Kosher ?

Yeah, I watched Lion the Pig Farmer last night : )

Many Thanks

Source(s): lobster kosher: https://bitly.im/qUfYm
  • 1 decade ago

It's a shellfish. By definition it's not kosher.

• 6 years ago

I've been researching the meaning of kosher.for no other reason but that I'm curious.So far my conclusion is that it must be very confusing to be hungry and Jewish at the same time!

• 1 decade ago

Its impossible to circumcise a lobster.

Besides its well known that Lobsters are all elders in the(deleted ) church. Crusty old things that are always trying to get their claws into you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.