How do feminists who spell womyn spell or say female?

Does this term also contradict the feminist movement as the term woman does?

Update:

For those individuals who refer to the dictionary, the oxford English dictionary actually has womyn, yet some don't accept language as never being constant, but constantly changing.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

i consider myself a feminist and i don't use the word spelled 'womyn'

BUT i tooootally get what you are saying

i saw someone spell it 'femayle' once

i wasn't sure if it was a typo or they meant it that way

as far as i know it's pronounced the same, it's just the spelling that's different

• 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

How do feminists who spell womyn spell or say female?

Source(s): feminists spell womyn spell female: https://biturl.im/PhgsZ
  • 5 years ago

I m glad I AXED this question.

Ebonics went the same way as womYn. Proper Englysh is still proper engyish. People should find other more effective means for their political statements rather than bastardizing the language.

It makes them lyyk lyzy and stupid to the mynstrym.

• 1 decade ago

How many feminists ever spelled women as "womyn"? How many do now? Like a handful in the past and one now?

I'm a feminist and I've always spelled women as "w o m e n" and female as "f e m a l e". Non-issue.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

"womon/womyn/womin" terms have not been accepted as standard English words"

Use STANDARD ENGLISH duh.

But this has nothing to do with the fact that language IS dynamic. Language i a living, breathing thing, just look at the differences between British and American spelling. Language changes, language evolves. Language is not static, and nobody who has studied language will argue this point. Its just too obvious.

However, this variation of 'woman' is not in current English language useage anywhere in the Anglo world, and that makes it a kind of slang. Like the slang word "diss" for "disrespect" is used only by a certain group of people; you would never use it outside those circles.

• Emma5 years agoReport

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/womyn
      http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/womyn

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

We spell Female, f e m a l e.

We also spell womyn w o m e n, you know, like the dictionary does.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It makes me angry how extreme feminists are trying to get the world spelling women and womyn. They need to realise they are fighting a losing battle. Everyone knows that is ridiculous.

• 1 decade ago

How do they say "Female"? With their tongue in their cheek? The corruption of the English language is not something to make one proud.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.