Does the Quran command Muslims to kill others?

I have heard many different things. I have read verses from the Quran that clearly command followers to kill "non-believers" listing Christians and Jews as an example. However, I also know that the majority of Muslims do not agree with killing people, regardless of their faith. I would like specific... show more I have heard many different things. I have read verses from the Quran that clearly command followers to kill "non-believers" listing Christians and Jews as an example. However, I also know that the majority of Muslims do not agree with killing people, regardless of their faith. I would like specific verses from the Quran backing up your answers. If it does say to kill, do most Muslims just ignore that part of the Quran or how does it work? Are there newer writings that teach against violence and if so where? I am not trying to be judgemental, I truly want to know the answer.
Update: With regards to the Christian Bible, the Old Testament preaches justice and there are some verses that can be interpreted as violent, but the underlying commandment is always "Thou shalt not kill." In the New Testament it states that Christians are to love everyone and teaches nothing but love and peace.... show more With regards to the Christian Bible, the Old Testament preaches justice and there are some verses that can be interpreted as violent, but the underlying commandment is always "Thou shalt not kill." In the New Testament it states that Christians are to love everyone and teaches nothing but love and peace. That's kind of what I was looking for.
I have read Quran verses supporting killing non Muslims and other parts preaching only peace. Is there any part where one overrides the other?
Update 2: Just for the record... I oppose war unless absolutely necessary. The current war by Americans is in no way absolutely necessary by my definition. Idealy, nobody should kill. However, I can make a pretty good argument for why it would be stupid to expect the citizens of the countries the US is invading to sit and... show more Just for the record...
I oppose war unless absolutely necessary. The current war by Americans is in no way absolutely necessary by my definition. Idealy, nobody should kill. However, I can make a pretty good argument for why it would be stupid to expect the citizens of the countries the US is invading to sit and smile while their towns are blown up. I do not criticize them for that. I think all killing is wrong but it's also stupid to not defend your country when it is being invaded. The killing I am talking about is the 9/11 attack and that type of thing, killing innocent civilians without reason (or good reason I guess).
16 answers