How much daylight is added each day following the Winter Solstice?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It depends on your latitude from the equator and it also changes day by day since the velocity of the earth in it's orbit around the sun is changing

• 1 decade ago

If you get all excited and nipple-y about spherical trigonometry, then you will understand this easily. If you are not so hot about spherical trig, then you will have to take my word for it.

(And my Doggie's word. She knows all about spherical trig and the motions of the planets.)

Because the Earth is spherical, there is lots of spherical geometry involved in explaining how the Earth moves and how the seasons work.

The length of days throughout the year is described by a sine curve. Look here for some basics about sine curves:

http://math.la.asu.edu/~walker/mat170/homework/sin...

As the Earth revolves around the Sun, the length of days approximates a sine function. At the two Solstices, Winter and Summer, the sine curve is near its extremes, which means the curve is nearly flat. The length of days changes only a minute or so just before and after the Solstice.

At the two Equinoxes, Vernal (spring) and Autumnal (fall), the curve is very steep, and the length of days changes rapidly. Just think of how fast it is getting dark earlier in September, as compared to how long the days seem to remain short in December or long in July.

That's it in a nutshell. If you want more information, try an Internet search on "solstices and equinoxes," or consult a good Doggie.

Have fun!

Source(s): PhD in astrophysics Got Doggie right here.
  • lael
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

In 2010 an test placed 2 aluminium-ion quantum clocks near to one yet another, yet with the 2nd greater beneficial 12 inches while in comparison with the 1st, making the gravitational time dilation consequence seen. that is been calculated that a man or woman living "12 inches" under floor point might have a life expectancy, for a seventy 9-3 hundred and sixty 5 days life span, of ninety billionths of a 2nd longer.[5]see wikipedia

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's not linear. This time of year it's around 2 minutes.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

In the uk I think its about a minute a day at the moment

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It depends on where you live and it's different each day.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

2 minutes each day until June, that's why i say that today is the beginning of summer

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.