What's the underlying evolutionary benefit behind humanity's love of music?

The human race is intensely interested and indeed even devoted to creating, playing and listening to music. What kind of evolutionary benefit is behind this love of music? I'm reading Daniel Dennett's book "Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon", and he's brought up this... show more The human race is intensely interested and indeed even devoted to creating, playing and listening to music. What kind of evolutionary benefit is behind this love of music?

I'm reading Daniel Dennett's book "Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon", and he's brought up this same question. I haven't come upon his explanation yet, so I thought I'd pose it to Y!A users.
Update: I'm sitting here listening to John Mayer (whose music I seem to love more than air sometimes) and it occurred to me... "yeah, this is supremely enjoyable, but WHY does it inspire these feelings?" So... anyhow, for everyone who didn't care, that's why I asked.