Ben asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 1 decade ago

It's Global Climate Change Stupid.?

There are two camps. One "believes" in Global Climate Change or understands that it is a problem outlined by scientific study (meaning it is peer reviewed and will never stop being studied). The other (and most predominant on this site) sect "disbelieve" in Global Warming and violently ignore research or choose to use research backed by oil companies and others that would rather we not do anything about it regardless of its existence or lack thereof. What camp are you in and why?

Favorite Answer

The sad part with this is that one's camp is totally unimportant. No one is going to win on this. Wasting time on the merits of both arguments is unproductive and only muddies the waters. What really counts is that serious changes to our environment are occuring and what the hell can we do about it??

We are spinning our wheels & running in circles arguing this. Lets start planning ADAPTATION now. Deal with it and adjust. It does not need a monichre; it needs some serious thought about mitigation and adjustment. The endless debate must stop so we can get on with what really counts.

JH

Source(s): common sense and 4 years studying both sides--the latter lead me to the opinon expressed above

A belief is defined as the conviction of the truth of some statement or the reality of some being or phenomenon especially when based on examination of evidence. Disbelieving is mental rejection of something as untrue. So the fact that so many "violently ignore" a situation with so much verifiable information at hand is almost hard to, well, believe.

I'm in the first camp, because mama didn't raise any slackers in our family. We grew up loving the natural world around us, appreciating what it had to offer, and that love later expressed itself in all of us learning more about our world. For me it meant becoming a naturalist and sharing my knowledge of local flora and fauna with other naturalists and the public.

In learning about the many threats to our natural resources, I was exposed early on to the concept of global warming. I've been picking up speed on the issue in the last year, as the situation has gained credibility (among scientists and world leaders), and have been accruing a list of reliable websites that provide an incredible amount of information on the topic.

The first link is one that was just passed along to me today by a volunteer where I work, when we were discussing the subject. I haven't read much of it yet, but she was very impressed at how well the color images relayed so much. The other links I've passed along before, and have been of a lot of help to me and others.

I won't recklessly dismiss any and all information backed by oil companies or anyone else, for that matter, unless it's been repeatedly been debunked here and elsewhere. I want to be able to say I've looked objectively at all viewpoints, because that's how important an issue human-related climate change is to the future of the planet.

Probably because your statements are opinionated and simply put, ignorant. To believe the statements of people who, at best, are also only guessing, says all that needs to be said about you. Frankly, I would rather make up my own mind (which works quite well, thank you) and put much more weight into the researches of the people that study the geological history of our planet. Most of these agree that our planet's behavior is cyclical by nature, due in part to the "wobble" of our planet during its rotation around the sun. A few have even voiced the idea that the molten core of our planet is subject to gravitational pull, much like the ocean's tides, and as such during periods of exaggerated (or greater wobble), the effects display themselves more readily. IMHO, an idea worthy off merit. Or, would you rather have another mini Ice Age like the world had during the 1800's? In other words, what we're experiencing is just a part of the natural cycle of our planet. Not to mention the ego it takes to assume that our puny footprints on the planet are the cause of this phenomenon.

Climate Change?!

Hold on. I lived through the Global Ice Age of the 1970's (and the massive starvation of the 1980's) and I'm still paying attention to Global Warming. Now, all of a sudden, it's called "Climate Change."

Is that because it's based on various competing computer "models" instead of hard science, and that's why it was wrong in predicting the hottest recorded decade (1930's) and hurricanes, Antarctica ice-build-up, drowning polar bears, etc?

Geeze, give us old folks a chance to catch up. We were ready to chase after ManBearPig, and now we've got another creature we'll be taxed into oblivion to get rid of....

What are we gonna call this one --- "WomanPigShrew"?

Didn't anybody ever learn about the Apocalyptic movement in the Middle Ages? (Oh yes, Al Gore did...he studied theology in college. Couldn't deal with his science classes.)

Very well. I'll do my part. Buy your carbon/oxygen climate change offsets from me, and you will attain redemption. I promise.

I believe in using our Natural resources responsibly and economically.

And we should employ sustainable methods with agriculture and human settlement,with out depleting more of Nature .

I believe Humanity is wasteful and destructive,

and has done much to change the environment and subsequently climatic conditions all over this planet.

I believe we need Nature in a healthy condition and intact to ensure our own healthy continuance

I believe that drastic events are happening on this planet and that we as humanity are contributing to this

I dont believe that we can still do much to change this but that we must be conservative and wise our natural resources so that we can benefit as long as possible

It doesn't matter if you aren't actually willing to DO something about it. Most people vote for president based on their view of abortion or some other silly issue, rather than shopping for an educated candidate. Sadly, a lot of the pollsters/pundits have already narrowed the race down to a few losers in each party.

Believing that all the things we do on Earth has no effect is blindness. I neither believe nor dis-believe. I'm simply keeping up with the ongoing study. I don't need a rush limbaugh, or a scientist, to tell me what to think. Getting emotional, and "believing", will not help at all. That only closes the mind to new information.

Of course I'm for the one that believes in Climate Change. Everyone knows it exists.

The only reason there's another camp that disbelieves it is so that people would continue buying from their company. And what do you know? It just so happens that these companies are not environment-friendly.

• JimZ

It is not a simple question of are you for good and believe in AWG or are you evil and have doubts. Do you understand how totally unscientific your question is. Consensus is for politics, not science. "Believing" is for religion, not science. It is wise to question money when it influences science but where is most of the money going to. Obviously it is going to those who try to push scare scenarios. Who benefits most from your global warming scarnario? Oil companies? With their vast reserves of oil and gas, oil companies will benefit when coal is banned. In fact, oil companies have spent more trying to prove global warming is real. Mostly it is just a public relations stunt. BP for example pretends to be friends of the environmentalists. They pretend to be greener in hopes that people will buy their gas.

No one disagrees with climate change. However, there is disagreement as to the cause, since for one thing, global warming is linked to sunspot activity, and co2 levels actually trail temperature rise.

Is it part of a natural cycle, or is it something that can be stopped by buying carbon credits, that's the question.

What worries most is that so many of the people who are jumping onto the climate change bandwagon are socialists who believe all companies are evil, and the solution to all problems is to put the right people in charge of the government, and then put the government in charge of everything.

When a socialist tells me that the solution is more restrictions on business...i take it with a grain of salt.