Suppose American society collapses. How will our collapse look? What will take place?

Seriously, folks. Let's bring out the academics on this one. Let's suppose our economy goes to crap. What will happen? Let's say, China gives up on the American dollar. Let's say that the worldwide value of the dollar drops utterly low. What will happen to us, you economists? I really wanna... show more Seriously, folks. Let's bring out the academics on this one. Let's suppose our economy goes to crap. What will happen? Let's say, China gives up on the American dollar. Let's say that the worldwide value of the dollar drops utterly low. What will happen to us, you economists?

I really wanna put our heads together with some ideas.

I've speculated, the FIRST obvious scenario that everyone cites, is that we'll represent Rome breaking apart. Rome separated into separate papal states that were always at war with one another.

A SECOND possible scenario could be that of our heritage and identity will crumble as we globalize, just as it was for the Russians after the Bolsheviks took over. Modern-day Russia is so much more different than what it was from 100 years ago. Communism destroyed those folks' souls.

A THIRD possiblity? I can't imagine one. Perhaps we will be a continent of perpetual Civil War? I don't know.

If changes occur, what form will they take?
Update: So far, this has been a fascinating round of answers to my question. I'm also surprised by the rapidity of your answers! Thank you. However, I have more in-depth questions. For example, let's say a guy is paying off his house, and then the collapse--will he still owe for the house? Will he lose the... show more So far, this has been a fascinating round of answers to my question. I'm also surprised by the rapidity of your answers! Thank you.

However, I have more in-depth questions. For example, let's say a guy is paying off his house, and then the collapse--will he still owe for the house? Will he lose the house?

What about electricity, plumming, cable tv? What about gasoline and our automotive infrastructure? What about the food we get at our grocery stores?

What shape will these details of our lives take?

Again, thanks for everything so far, folks. Hope to hear more from you all soon.