I don't understand why "what is this mean" is grammatically correct. Can anyone explain?

Even Paula Zahn says "What is this mean?"

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0201/22/ltm...

Favorite Answer

Because it is "what does this mean?" you wouldn't say "what is this do?" you would say "what does this do?" or "what is that say?" it's "what does that say?" and there are a million other examples but I'm sure you're bored by now. SO...the reason why, i don't know but it's a stupid english grammar rule that you just have to go along with.

It is NOT correct. It should read, "What DOES this mean?" I can only assume that either Paula Zahn is an idiot, which I doubt, or the person typing the transcript inserted the error.

• marian

It's usual to say: I don't quite understand or even I didn't understand everything you said you use the verb /do/ with the verb / to understand/ I understand, I do understand I do not understand, I don't understand yoiu can use the verb 'to be' [ I am] with an adjective [ I am a bit confused ]

Well, your link said that this was a "rush" transcript, and that it wasn't necessarily the final copy.

I think what Paula Zahn (and others you've heard) said was "What does this mean" instead of "What is this mean".

Sandy

It isn't grammatically correct and you are referencing a website with a disclaimer

"THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED."

from 9/11. I think a lot of things that weren't grammatically correct may have slipped out that day.

Zahn should have asked: "What does this mean?" This is a common mistake when a person talks too fast.

that's just a typo that plauges the english language. It's supposed to be "what does this mean". The American accent is very funny because "what does this mean" can turn into "what is this mean". it's just a mistake that the transcripter made.

• Amy W

I think they should say "What does this mean?". Just because celebrities say something does not mean it is grammatically correct. I thin the only time "What is this mean" is correct is when you are looking at some numbers and asking what the mean of the numbers is. ("Mean" is the statistical term for arithmetic average.)

Notice that the word "mean" sometimes used as a noun.So in my opinion,here"this mean"is togther to act the subject part.

"What is this mean" is not grammatically correct. It may have been a typo.