Rule of thumb - you can never ever go wrong with just a plain white shirt. And if you get french cuffs and a nice pair of cuff links - WOW - you will look great.
* Business/professional/conservative - dark conservative suit in solid, pinstripe, or subtle plaid.
* Informal business casual environment – coordinated sport coat or blazer with khakis, chinos, or gabardine trousers.
* Shirts – long-sleeved dress shirt in solid colors such as white, cream, or light blue.
* Necktie – medium width silk ties in solids, stripes, and small patterns. Tip of the tie should touch the top of the belt.
* Shoes & Socks – dressy slip-ons and lace-up shoes in black, burgundy, or dark brown. Dark color or neutral over-the-calf socks coordinated to trousers. White sport socks and athletic shoes are out of place.
* Belts & Accessories – leather belts in black, burgundy, or dark brown to match trousers or shoes. Avoid flashy cufflinks, rings, or neck chains. Trim-styled watch with leather or good-quality metal band. Wedding bands and conservative rings are appropriate, but limit one per hand. No earrings.
* Hair, Skin & Fragrance – hair should be clean and neatly combed. No “five-o’clock shadow”; facial hair should be groomed and trimmed. Go light on after shave products and avoid colognes. Cover tattoos.
For more helpful tips, visit your local library and review some etiquette books. These are the type of books that have the answers you are looking for.