How did people clean themselves before toilet paper ?

• aero
    Favorite Answer

What are you typing with?

That is a funny question, indeed. You belong, undoubtedly, to the young generation that has been born when Internet and the cellular phones were already here.

I, for one, belong to the age when toilet paper was not existing for the average citizen who could not afford to buy the toilet rolls. However, we had enough money to buy the daily newspaper, and one we'd read it, we cut it with the scissors to get small sheets, which we hooked in a hook shaped wire we had on the kind of latrine we used, which was normally placed outside the house.

And I'm not speaking of the dinosaurs' times, but only of 1936!!

If we go back in time, however, as they had no newspapers, they used leaves, handfuls of herbs and their own hands, which they washed afterwords.

But you do not have to go so backwards in time. Right now, in Africa, Brazil or Borneo, where you can still find a lot of tribes living a pretty wild life, when they need it they go out in the woods and use their hands which they, later on, wash in any nearby stream.

Curious98

• Anpadh

People who lived near a river went to the river. Others used leaves. People in deserts did not clean themselves.

Thimbleberry leaves. Nature's toilet paper.

Paper, just not on a roll? Before that, probably cloth... hygiene standards were not always as high as they are now, which is how plagues and diseases spread so easily.

I think with leaves...that's how I've always thought of it. Maybe they just got straight into the creek or something. Maybe used some kind of clothe and just kept it rinsed or washed out for use next time?

Pieces of cloth. My Nana said that when she was very young girls didn't have store bought sanitary supplies either. They had to wear layers of cloth pinned into their undergarments. That had to be a serious hassle!

I believe people used cloths which they washed over and over. Probably using disinfectants to get rid of the germs.

hand or leaf

some places are still like that too.

gross.

dude ur wrong