I think I might have conjunctivitis?

what is conjuctivitis and how do you get rid of it, I wear contacts, and my optition told me to see my GP, (which I will but getting an appointment is a mission in its self)

14 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Recent studies suggest there is little advantage in using antibiotic ointments for this, as they don't speed up recovery very much. Simple cleansing seems to be nearly as good. However chloramphenical, the ointment most often used is now available without prescription from pharmacies and coasts less than a prescription charge.

    Source(s): GP for more years than I care to remember
  • 1 decade ago

    conjunctivitis or "pink eye" comes in 2 forms. Viral and bacterial. Viral kind can be from allergies. Bacterial is from a bacteria that got into your eye. It is very contagious. The form of treatment is a course of antibiotic eye drops several times a day for 5-7 days. You need to throw out all make up you used on your eyes (so you do not reinfect). Ask your optician about your contacts. Use paper towels to dry your face off during treatment so you can throw them away. Never use a towel more than once on your face, especially before treatment. Usually if you have a doctor, they will prescribe the eye drops without you having to come in. If you call and say you have conjunctivitis or pink eye. Or you could try a clinic if you do not have a doctor. Or some CVS stores have minute clinics that deal with this sort of thing also. Do not wear your contacts until treatment is complete or your optician says. It will not go away on its own. Seek treatment and good luck.

  • 1 decade ago

    Conjunctivitis, is the inflammation of the Conjuctive of your eye, or basically the part of the eyelid that touches your eye, It is also know as Pink Eye. It is highly contagious, hand washing needs to be done, after everytime you touch your eye. As for Contacts, I would stop wearing them until it clears, I know with eyeliner and mascara, they have to be replaced after having conjunctivits. There are some eyedrops you can buy over the counter, or if you can get your doctor to give your a script for anti-bacterial eyedrops.

    Source(s): Personal experience
  • 1 decade ago

    Conjunctivitis (also know as pink eye) can be either viral or bacterial in origin. Basically your eye becomes very red and you get either a clear or purulent (pus) discharge. It also itches and the discharge causes blurred vision.

    I know getting in to see your GP is hard to do, but if you can describe your symptoms over the phone he can probably just call in a prescription for eyedrops without seeing you. Conjunctivitis is very contagious also, so please try not to touch your eyes and wash your hands often

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Kate
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

    Conjunctivitis is the inflammation of the the membrane that lines the eyelids and covers the exposed surface of your eyeball . It can also be called "Pink Eye"

    The most common signs and symptoms of pink eye include:

    Redness in one or both eyes

    Itchiness in one or both eyes

    Blurred vision and sensitivity to light

    A gritty feeling in one or both eyes

    A discharge in one or both eyes that forms a crust during the night


    You can soothe the discomfort of conjunctivitis / pink eye by applying warm compresses to your affected eye. To make a compress, soak a clean, lint-free cloth in warm water and wring it out before applying it gently to your closed eyelids.

    For allergic conjunctivitis due to allergies, avoid rubbing your eyes so that you don't release more histamines. Instead, just use cool compresses to soothe your eyes. You can also ask your pharmacist to recommend some sort of eye drops in the meantime.

    I hope this helps....

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    You need to get a special eye wash to get out the infection which is making the conjunctivitus worse. Your G.P can get this for you and really only your G.P as it is likely to be a prescription type medication which chemists cant just hand over in the usual way they do with codine-paracetamol or feminax..etc, though you could always try them.

    Hate to say it but it wont be shifting at all until you have dealt with the infection. And as I said, it cant be done without medication.

  • 1 decade ago

    hi its a infection that can be caught by others from your towels. getting an appointment these days is a joke with the doctors as i feel like they never have time for anyone. try some warm boiled water with a little salt keep batheing it. if you still can`t get in the doctors the chemist have some good drops for it. bets of luck.

  • 1 decade ago

    Conjunctivitis is an eye condition. It can be shown as red eye, or irritation of the eye. One way to get rid of it is through eye drops. While you have it, you shouldn't wear your contacts. If you have an old pair of glasses, bring them out for the time being.

  • 1 decade ago

    Conjunctival inflammation typically occurs from infection, allergy, or irritation. Symptoms are conjunctival hyperemia and ocular discharge and, depending on the etiology, discomfort and itching. Diagnosis is clinical; sometimes cultures are indicated. Treatment depends on etiology and may include topical antibiotics, antihistamines, mast cell stabilizers, and corticosteroids.

    Please see the web pages for more details and images on Conjunctivitis.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    You don't need to see your GP. Just go to any chemist and they can give you some antibiotic eye drops. They did the trick for me!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.