Andrew asked in TravelAir Travel · 1 decade ago

Water Bottles and Airport Security?

Will they allow you now to get through security with an empty water bottle? And then let you fill it up past security? Are you allowed to do this?

Favorite Answer

I do it every time I fly and I've never had any problems, so I would have to say that yes, they do allow it. Don't worry about drying it out or anything - they won't care if there are a few drops of water left it in it (it's less than 3.4oz, after all).

Also, keep in mind that the reason they banned most liquids is basically that their x-ray machines can't see them. When it comes down to it, they probably wouldn't notice if you had a full water bottle in your bag if you didn't take it out to show them. Of course, it would be a hassle if you did get caught, and it's definitely easier to just carry an empty one and fill it on the other side, but I think you'd probably get away with it. I've carried all kinds of things through security, including chapstick, vaseline, and hand lotion since the gel/liquid ban, but also x-acto knife blades any number of times.

yes they should allow that,i had some souvenir coke bottle and they made me empty them and let me keep the bottles,but you can get bottled water on most planes

Im pretty positive they will let you.

what is forbiden is the liquids not plastic containers.

It doesnt say if prohibited in TSA website

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/...

Yes...just did the exact same thing two weeks ago flying out of Florida....

I havent considered something latley on the yank airways or southwest airways or the TSA's guidelines about that imparticular. i'd def. call up your airline and ask. thats the fastest and simplest and maximum strong thanks to get an answer.

Yes, i agree with opther people. Just make sure it is dry completely. :)