Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCommuting · 1 decade ago

What city has the best public transportation in the US?

I'm visually disabled and will need to rely on public transportation soon to get around. What city would be the best for someone who doesn't own a car or can't drive? Also, what would be wonderful is a place where you could live that has everything within walking distance. Schools, grocery store, doctor, post office, ect. Kind of like a village. Does that kind of neighobrhood exist anywhere? I've been doing searches but come up with nothing. I have two children and it would be great to be able to just walk or take a subway/train/bus to whereever we need to go with out a hassle.

Thanks.

Best Answer

If you have been doing searched on the internet for these "villages", one thing you want to look for is "smart growth" communities. The exact walkable community you are describing is a newer city planning principle of creating mixed-use communities where people can walk to all the amenities that they need (and are typically centrally located around major public transportation facilities). They are becoming very popular because of their effectiveness in mitigating traffic impacts, and thus these types of developments are beginning to pop up all over the united states. Try doing searches for "Smart Growth (village/community)", "Transit Oriented Development" or "Mixed Use Development." Using those terms to search should help you find that type of community you are looking for.

As far as relying on public transportation, living in a large city will do the trick such as New York or San Francisco. However, if you would like to live somewhere more affordable and family oriented, I would check out both Portland, and Seattle. They have extremely advanced public transportation systems and are working on a number of (light rail and bus rapid transit) projects that should be dramatically improving their already advanced public transportation systems.

Well - I live on an island in the US - It's called Brigantine and it's in New Jersey - I don't drive either, and it has all the amenities you are asking for - I am near everything, including a bus - if I have to go further - I take the bus to a train, etc.(cabs are also readily available)

I also lived in Key West, Florida - an island as well - but I don't recommend raising children there(it's a huge party town in the winter)

So, my best advice is to find an island, or a good old fashioned small town - they are all over the US.

Good Luck!

Ridgewood NJ has a wonderful village setting where you can go to the post office, restaurants, supermarket, doctor, hospital and even the train to New York City if need be. I have a car but I don't need a car and I run all my errands by foot. I also raised my son here and he was completely independent to even go to the movies and the local sports team events. Its a wonderful place to raise children as well. They would not need you for car-pooling...and they would have access to the big city with reliable commuter trains.

Good luck

Source(s): I live here

Depending on age, disability and income, some cities have very good transportation services other than the public transportation system.

Chicago has pretty good public transportation, depending on the neighborhood you choose. For a smaller area, Albuquerque NM is pretty good.

Some cities have van transportation, point to point, on scheduled and unscheduled basis.

Another town in NM has transportation for seniors, with one hour notice, for one dollar each way, but nothing actually scheduled.

so check out some other cities.

NY is the only place that the public transportation can get you anywhere and everywhere. California has BART but it doesnt go to as many places as the subway does

New York City! It has bus, subway, cabs. A lot of things are in wlaking distance.

NYC has an excellent public transportation system (60% of its residents use it). LA sucks @$$ as far as mass transit.

To the best of my knowledge it should be NYC & San Francisco (city).

Not Kansas City that is for sure. I have heard that Portland is great

NYC